• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cruise Night - 2017

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I took the Sprite to Cruise night. Once again, it was easily the smallest car there. However, it really drew a crowd this year, and quite surprisingly, the most attention I got was from the 20-something crowd, including some gearheads who asked me some fairly in depth questions. They loved the concept of a small sports car. I never have any problems with letting people sit in the Sprite to "Try it on for size", and all of them were quite astonished at how roomy it was. I don't know if I scored any converts, but I always believe that if you can "plant the seed", it might sprout one day down the road.

Here's some of the more interesting sights:

1949 Plymouth. This piqued my curiosity since I just bought a 1953 Plymouth. Turned out the owner was a retired police officer, and his wife at one point was also a volunteer in the same department I currently volunteer for. Small world!
DSC_0022 by David Cohen, on Flickr

An original Studebaker Avanti -- I've seen the Avanti IIs, but this is the first original I think I've come across:
DSC_0028 by David Cohen, on Flickr

When was the last time you actually saw a Chevy Citation, let alone a Citation X-11?
DSC_0037 by David Cohen, on Flickr

This custom '61 Impala got a LOT of attention. It was pretty spectacular:
DSC_0040 by David Cohen, on Flickr

M38 Jeep complete with 37mm anti-tank gun. Talk about a great way to handle tailgaters! One round would probably be more than enough to rid yourself of that problem.
DSC_0045 by David Cohen, on Flickr

The Sprite, looking quite small next to a '67 Olds 4-4-2.
DSC_0050 by David Cohen, on Flickr

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great pics! looks like a lot if fun

Country flag
Guy in our car club has a Pontiac T1000 (citation) that is all original in in great shape.

nomad

Yoda
The Citation was a very tough car that was reasonable on fuel. Around here folk's drove them forever but now,of course, all are used up.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
At our Saturday Cruise night there are a few unexceptional cars - a couple of Pontiac 6000 wagons - a Chevette - a couple of the bigger of the K cars - great to see them all.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Makes you wonder why someone would want to preserve such boring works of American Engineering?

Country flag
I think people stumble across well preserved examples and bring them out to show for public interest. I do not think anybody really sinks money into restoring K-cars.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think people stumble across well preserved examples and bring them out to show for public interest. I do not think anybody really sinks money into restoring K-cars.

I agree though at my church there is a guy who just loves his 80's 5th Avenue - bought it a few years ago so no history and has poured some fairly serious money into it.

But to your greater point it surprises me how many really low mileage malaise cars still show up for sale

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So, my town has one tonight, and I was thinking of winging down, but based on past attendees, I can attest that my Midget is not even close to show quality- Any general etiquette rules regarding minimum 'niceness' of the vehicle? of course, I think she's purdy, but it is more DD shape than show shape......for now, at least.

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
UPDATE. Seller just backed out and is returning my $3000 deposit.

I am adding a cruise night car. Somewhat different than the car I am building. They should look good sitting next to each other.
vQS5Be5.jpg

mL9UD2g.jpg

97fSVqO.jpg

L4MHOiZ.jpg

ZsbH159.jpg

Pretty clean at 26K miles. 2002 Corvette Coupe LT1

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, my town has one tonight, and I was thinking of winging down, but based on past attendees, I can attest that my Midget is not even close to show quality- Any general etiquette rules regarding minimum 'niceness' of the vehicle? of course, I think she's purdy, but it is more DD shape than show shape......for now, at least.

No etiquette that I can think of - most of the time "patina" is valued as I think most cruisers would rather see an honest car than a bought rod - that said, you will fond out very quickly whether this is the place for you - around here I have always been very welcome - there is one cruise night I typically don't attend because there is just a little too much testoterone for my liking - but even there, no problem!

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thx John!- yah this one is pretty laid back, and is mainly a 'vehicle' (no pun intended) to get some downtown business for our restaurants and shops (we have a summer economy)...regardless I think I will stop by, if nothing else to see some other cool cars. Off topic, we got my wife's Q5 detailed by a new shop, and spent some time in his shop talking cars. He does most of the high end cars in the area, and was able to see some nice rides- He is doing my DD in September :smile:

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I took my Spitfire to the local cruise night last Friday. It's mostly hot rods and muscle cars but there was also an MBG and two Metropolitans. When I was around my car someone was always asking about it. When I was ready to leave, the guy that had been sitting next to it all night said "wow, everyone likes your car there have been people around it all night ". Considering the caliber of cars I was pretty pleased.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just show up. I saw some cars that were more modern cars. If people like what they see, they'll show it. I found being friendly and letting people in the crowd sit in the car goes over very well. Most people are surprised at just how room such a small car can be.

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
well, RL stepped in and put a the kaibosh on my plans- had to take care of a few things at home before we started getting some rain, and would've only been able to catch last 15 minutes, so maybe next time. oh well!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
well, RL stepped in and put a the kaibosh on my plans- had to take care of a few things at home before we started getting some rain, and would've only been able to catch last 15 minutes, so maybe next time. oh well!

You'll be surprised how much attention you'll get, particularly from kids.

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
oh yeah- I get a lot of looks and conversations as it stands now-First night back out, was parked in front of an Irish pub to meet my wife, and ended up talking to a couple guys for 1/2 hour and showing them the whole car. Felt good to see the interest!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Maybe it is just anecdotal, but I have seen an upturn of interest from younger enthusiasts. For many Millennials, big Detroit iron is a very foreign concept to them. They grew up with small cars and the "Fast and Furious" movies. Little British Cars are a curiosity to them because they can relate to their size, because that's what they are used to. Combine the partiality for smaller cars with the simplicity LBCs have to offer, and it makes a great launch point for those who want to get into the hobby, but drive something different than a Honda Civic with a fart pipe. I don't think that's a bad thing...someone is going to have to look after these cars when we can't anymore.