• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harbor Freight Inline Air shears

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Just bought an Inline Air shear from Harbor freight. CentralPneumatic brand. Item No.88833

It looks well made but would not cut 18 gauge steel as it was advertised to cut. I cranked the air pressure up from 90 PSI to 120 PSI and it struggled to make a short cut.

I think I will return it and try the electric version. Wanted the air tool because it was so much smaller and looked more handy for tight spaces.
I may have got a bad one.

David

dklawson

Yoda
I have a set of Clarke electric shears. These are the same as HF 62213 and 68199. I know they are the same because when I broke the Clarke blades and needed replacements... the HF blades fit perfectly. These are all copies of some once famous U.S. brand tool.

The HF electrics are listed as good to 14 gauge sheet. Maybe in un-tempered aluminum but certainly not steel. I would consider the electrics good to maybe 18 gauge steel. Certainly nothing thicker.

I broke the Clarke blades trying to use them on 16 gauge stainless. Big mistake. I will never try that again. On stainless I would stop around 20 gauge.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have one of those sheers. I could only get them to work when I got a new larger compressor. They like a lot of volume of air. Then they work OK, Still takes a lot of effort to push them through steel

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It looks well made but would not cut 18 gauge steel as it was advertised to cut.
I couldn't find anyplace where it says 18 gauge steel; just 18 gauge sheet metal, which of course could mean anything.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oops, I looked up a different one. SORRY!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
No worries - just want to make sure we don't give harbor freight too much credit! :smile:

(I shop there all the tine... yet complain ceaselessly about the quality.)

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Reading the reviews of the air shears I notice one comment that he was cutting 16 gauge SS. I must have got a bad one because even at 120PSI it hardly cut 18 gauge steel.
Swooped it for the electric version that is said to cut 14 gauge.

David

dklawson

Yoda
Reading the reviews of the air shears I notice one comment that he was cutting 16 gauge SS. I must have got a bad one because even at 120PSI it hardly cut 18 gauge steel.
Swooped it for the electric version that is said to cut 14 gauge.

David

See my post above before you try to cut any 14 gauge material with the electric shears.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the reminder.

The air ones would not cut 18 gauge they just stalled.

The electric ones seem to have more go. I can not imagine any of them making it through 14 gauge anything.

If I have material that thick I get the angle grinder with cutoff wheel.

David

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like the HF one would be more effective
if you unplugged it,& beat the metal with it!

dklawson

Yoda
Sounds like the HF one would be more effective
if you unplugged it,& beat the metal with it!

I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the pneumatic shears. However, the electrics are good at what they do. HF and others have unfortunately misrepresented their capabilities. It is as if their metal gauge ratings are based on how far the shear jaws open... not on what the shears really have the power and strength to cut.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the pneumatic shears. However, the electrics are good at what they do.

I agree - I have a number of air powered tools that sit lonely in the toolbox because I bought the long before I understood about compressor requirements - electric is becoming my go to for a lot of than.

HF and others have unfortunately misrepresented their capabilities.

Seriously? Seriously! I am scandalised! when did this happen? Has it happened before and why weren't we told? If this is allowed to continue soon gas mileage will be misrepresented, politicians will lie and don't even get me started on dating sites! Oh the humanity... :devilgrin:

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Had to form a section of duct to connect the microwave/convection/vent unit to the house ducting. (Tight space, major PITA.) It was was only a small piece so I tried to just use manual snips at first. Total waste of time, other than to prove I needed a power tool.

Picked up an attachment to use an electric drill as a shear on Amazon.

tshd_apart_catalog_2015-000.jpg

Worked great. Not sure how thick the sheet was, polly 20 awg, I guess. Attached to my Milwaukee hole shooter, it cut through it like butter.

And it's made in USA.

https://malcoproducts.com/product/h...assisted-cutters-shears/turboshear-heavy-duty

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002894R0/