Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

  1. #1
    Freshman Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Everett WA
    Posts
    5
    Chats
    0

    Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    New member so I apologize in advance for duplicating this thread. I just did not know where best to place it.

    Badly need a usable first motion shaft for my 1964 BJ8 Centershift case. Or if anyone knows someplace that can repair the damaged syncro friction surface???
    Is it possible to weld and regrind?

    thanks,
    Buff
    425-870-9160


  2. #2

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    There's a substance that Loctite makes for refurbishing seal grooves on power plant turbine shafts. Evidently you apply it on a lathe with a squeegee, then after it hardens, turn it down to size. If it'll work there, it'll probably work on the first motion shaft. Google to find this. I don't have any other info.

    I was originally interested in it as a solution for worn-seal grooves in our steering shafts.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

  3. #3
    Yoda dklawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    5,640
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    I suggest you contact local machine shops about who can/does flame spray build up of crankshaft journals. It is quite likely that they could turn down the damaged surface on your input shaft, build it back up with flame spray, then grind the correct profile back for the synchro seat. It won't be cheap but it will be metal on metal and most likely... have a hardness similar to what the original surface was.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

  4. #4
    Jedi Hopeful aero3113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Setauket NY (Long Island)
    Posts
    128
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    I wonder if a speedy sleeve will work for that? I've used them in the past on my 50 Plymouth for the front crank seal, they work great.

    http://www.skf.com/group/products/se...eve/index.html

  5. #5
    Freshman Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Everett WA
    Posts
    5
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    Quote Originally Posted by dklawson View Post
    I suggest you contact local machine shops about who can/does flame spray build up of crankshaft journals. It is quite likely that they could turn down the damaged surface on your input shaft, build it back up with flame spray, then grind the correct profile back for the synchro seat. It won't be cheap but it will be metal on metal and most likely... have a hardness similar to what the original surface was.
    Thanks, I am heading to Seattle Autosports (British specialist machine shop) this morning and will report back on my progress.

  6. #6
    Freshman Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Everett WA
    Posts
    5
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    Quote Originally Posted by aero3113 View Post
    I wonder if a speedy sleeve will work for that? I've used them in the past on my 50 Plymouth for the front crank seal, they work great.

    http://www.skf.com/group/products/se...eve/index.html
    thanks but thinking this would be a reach to find a sleeve with correct taper and diameter. Hoping I can get it welded and reground.

  7. #7
    Great Pumpkin Keoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    LosAngeles Calif.
    Posts
    12,204
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    There's a substance that Loctite makes for refurbishing seal grooves on power plant turbine shafts. Evidently you apply it on a lathe with a squeegee, then after it hardens, turn it down to size. If it'll work there, it'll probably work on the first motion shaft. Google to find this. I don't have any other info.

    I was originally interested in it as a solution for worn-seal grooves in our steering shafts.
    ;

    In the past we have used two small seals to replace the original single one which by passes the old shaft's grove.???
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

  8. #8
    Yoda
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California USA
    Posts
    3,071
    Chats
    0

    Re: Repair a First Motion Shaft for a Austin Healey 3000

    Quote Originally Posted by racerbuff View Post
    Thanks, I am heading to Seattle Autosports (British specialist machine shop) this morning and will report back on my progress.
    Buff,

    Did you get your shaft repaired (I need some work done on mine)?

    Bob

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •