• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Clutch Release Question

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
Having finally removed the cover for the shift lever, my next task to ready the core return transmission was to remove the clutch release assembly. Wasn't too difficult but the retaining pin is broken. A cheap enough fix to buy a new hardened pin from Moss but I am wondering about alternatives such as the hydraulic axial release assembly discussed in the 'How to Improve Your TR' book series.
Does anyone have any experience with these? Every vehicle I've ever driven with a clutch has used some type of fork. Never had a problem with any of them until now so maybe it's a solution in search of a problem.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
On the past couple of gearboxes I've just drilled for an additional cross bolt through the fork and lever arm. No failures on that yet so I've not looked at other options.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Herman supplies a coaxial slave for his gearbox conversions. Everyone I've talked to has loved it; but I don't know if any if them have had to change seals or the adjustment.

Personally, I'll stick with having them accessible. I've also had that pin break, but I don't expect those seals to last 50 years either. And the reinforcement should solve the pin problem (tho I doubt I will make it another 50 years to find out :smile:

OP
W

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
Sadly, I suspect that few of here on the forum today will be active fifty years from now, but thanks the internet, a few words of wisdom may persist through future decades :rolleye:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I cross drilled the fork, grade 8 bolt, plus the pin, hopefully will have no problems. I have a friend with internal slave, it blew up and left him unable to shift 50 miles from home one night.

Not saying they are terrible, just one person's experience, but I guess I personally wouldn't make the change if the goal of added reliability, maybe it does get you a smoother clutch, I don't know.

I suppose you are stuck pulling the tranny if the pin breaks or the hydraulics fail, I am more comfortable putting faith in some hardened steel rather than rubber seals.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I use two of the Herman van Den Akker Toyota conversions with the hydraulic axial release bearing. They really spoil me with their quick release / action. I love them.
Charley

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here is a link to the Buckeye tech. article that explains why the fork pin breaks and how to remedy it-https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/clutch/ClutchShaft/ClutchShaft.htm
I went the route of machining a pin that is actually supported by both sides of the fork and also added the additional 1/4" bolt.
In my feeble mind, it is just wrong to have hydraulic seals that require removing the trans. to replace.
Berry