• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dunkirk

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Last night I saw Christopher Nolan's new film "Dunkirk".

This is quite a movie. Taking place during the defense and evacuation at Dunkirk, 26 May to 4 June 1940, the story follows several British army and navy personnel as they find themselves on the beach, waiting for military support which never arrives, trying every way they can to find shelter and make it home to England. This is not the "Story of Dunkirk". Rather, it's the story of several of the 400,000 men living through it, minute by minute.

Here is Mr. Beverley Baxter's "London Letter", from Maclean's (Canada), July, 1940. His "Who Lives If England Dies?" was written 5 June 1940.

https://www.macleans.ca/archives/the-battle-of-dunkirk-who-lives-if-england-dies/

Fantastic realism, especially in the air battles. And of course, lots of Spitfire, Messerschmitt, and Heinkel scenes. The tension of seeing details of what the men are going through, grows through every minute of the film.

And now I know the importance of the Dunkirk "moles".

A preview:

Tom M.

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Would love to see it. Surprising how many Americans don't know the story (but it sure is well-known in the UK).

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Rick - prepare for audio overload. When Spitfires fly over, it's *loud*. Same for explosions, and the 100s of bullets piercing through steel. In so many ways, this was a true horror for those guys to experience.

On a lighter note, when a British army officer looks at the tidal flat, he says "And every three hours the tides change." British navy officer says "That's six hours." Army officer says "I thought it was every three hours". Navy officer: "That's why you're in army, and I'm in navy."

TM

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
My old man was there taking troops off the beaches. Was in the merchant navy all his life. I have his medals here at home. Also did the north atlantic convoys.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ken Sturdy, who survived the original Dunkirk evacuation, attended the film on Friday night.

"Tonight I cried because itā€™s never the end. It wonā€™t happen. We the human species are so intelligent, and we do such astonishing things. We can fly to the moon, but we still do stupid things. So when I see the film tonight, I see it with a certain kind of sadness. Because what happened back then in 1940, itā€™s not the end." - Ken Sturdy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
"Tonight I cried because itā€™s never the end. It wonā€™t happen. We the human species are so intelligent, and we do such astonishing things. We can fly to the moon, but we still do stupid things. So when I see the film tonight, I see it with a certain kind of sadness. Because what happened back then in 1940, itā€™s not the end." - Ken Sturdy.

which is why I might not be able to see it

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
which is why I might not be able to see it

Nor will I. Only way is on DVD for me. Made the mistake of going to a theatre to see the: "We Were Soldiers Once"... almost made it thru the opening scene. Surround sound of rounds going past my head was enough. At home I have a "pause" button. I'd already read Hal Moore's book.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Nor will I. Only way is on DVD for me. Made the mistake of going to a theatre to see the: "We Were Soldiers Once"... almost made it thru the opening scene. Surround sound of rounds going past my head was enough. At home I have a "pause" button. I'd already read Hal Moore's book.

Funny you should say that - there are entire genres of movies that I can only watch on the small screen.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Son coming up to visit me while wife and daughter are in Spain. He bought tickets to Dunkirk at the IMAX for Friday night. I may wear earplugs.

TheItalianJosh

Freshman Member
Couldn't recommend this film enough. Easily one of the best films of the year. I'd recommend seeing it at the cinema, preferably an IMAX because the sound and visuals are so integral to the film. I jumped out of my seat on a number of occasions, but it's truly gripping.

Really moved me too. Makes you realise the absolute horrors these young men went through.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Been thru enough "horrors" personally to have a visceral reaction to theatrical, recreated war scenarios. By pure dumb luck I've no Purple Heart, but the experience was enough to put me off paying for an adrenalin dump from hearing/feeling ordnance going off in proximity, even in a movie. I will likely view it, but with a pause button to hand.

I've read the books on Dunkirk, and many other war histories and biographies, I'm no "peacenick" by a long shot. Was one of the USAF Photojournalists to document (among many other things) the last bombing mission in South East Asia. Lived with Army S.F. guys in the "woods" at times, accompanied F.A.C. missions, et al. Been shot at with everything from small arms fire to mortars, even had an F-4 back-seat "yank-n-bank" ride where the AC evaded an SA-2. Domestic "camping" and carnival "thrill rides" are also on my "things to avoid" list. It's more of a BTDT thing for me.

I like tranquility. :smirk:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Saw it tonight. Had an anxiety attack halfway through. Had to tell myself to breathe. A far cry from the Rambo-type BS was movies or the shoot em ups from WW II. This was real. And it was the Spitfire that saved western civilization. The flying scenes were amazing. Real planes too. As a pilot, I would have lasted about 5 minutes. The attrition rate was 75%.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A fellow volunteer at the air museum (retired AA pilot), told me the Spitfire scenes were one of the highlights of the film for him. With no fuel and no ammunition left, the Spit was much lighter than at takeoff, so could glide for quite a while, and had increased advantage in ground effect. Mitchell's semi-elliptical wings provided excellent lift - which the gliding scene shows.

Also, firing the flare into the cockpit to prevent Germans from using the aircraft was exactly what the pilot would do - altho' using landing gear on an unknown beach was dangerous. Unless he had details, he wouldn't know how firm the beach was, and might have chosen a wheels up landing.

Great movie!
Tom M.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
DINFOS lost one of its own in that incident, too.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
We saw the movie yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The scene shifting from storyline to storyline had me confused initially until i figured out how it was being done. Reminded me of Tom Clancy novels that i really enjoy. Go to a new chapter and have to remember where that storyline left off a couple of chapters ago.
Next movie is Dark Tower by Stephen King - i'm real curious how they have reduced 9 books into a 90 minute movie. One of the few Stephen King offerings i like.