• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Contact cement for vinyl

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Contact cement for vinyl. I have heard that contact cement canreally very. I forgot, but I guess the can color and type can make a big differenceand the people around here at the store are hit and miss when you ask about stuff like that,so I am putting up to you guys, and thanks in advance.
steve

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My suggestion is to go to a local auto upholstery shop and ask if you can buy a pint/ quart of their regular upholstery glue. We were able to do that locally and it has worked out the best. YOU ARE USING A PRODUCT AS IT WAS INTENDED, NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO GET THAT MIGHT WORK!!!! They usually have the glue in a large container and may or may not have empty cans available. So if you were to take your own jar or sealable can all they would have to do is shoot their pressurized glue into your container. You can then purchase small disposable brushes at most all hardware stores to apply it with. Works much better than pressurized cans.
Charley

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another product that I have used for vinyl is laminate contact adhesive...ie what kitchen cabinet makers use for bonding laminate to hardboard.

ed_h

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Most any contact adhesive will stick down vinyl, but some will let go in the high temps a car interior will see. I know that the laminate adhesive in kitchens will sometimes fail near ovens or other heat sources.

Ed

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've had very good luck with 3m Hi-Strength 90 spray adhesive and for areas that you can't spray, I've used Weldwood Contact Cement in the bottle.

Also, the 3M Super 77 spray is supposed to be good also, but I can't speak from experience.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
An auto upholsterer will have Weldwood Landau Vinyl top contact cement . Take an empty qt. paint can. Brush it on and hit it with a hair dryer to tack it then "stick it and forget it". You can re heat it and reposition fabric if careful and it will restick.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks you guys all good stuff and I wrote down what John used on his tr2. Most of his stuff was leather and I have had a problem over the years with a lot of contact cement on vinyl. I think part of my problem is the type of vinyl I was using, mostly cheap stuff with that white material on the back. I noticed the original vinyl had like a denim on the back, and yes when the vinyl gets hot it starts to let go over time, fortunately most the joints get pinched in place. I will try talking to some of the shops.
steve