• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can you tell the difference?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Ah, the 70s marketing campaign. <snort>

ford granada.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Hehehe... yup.

Aside from looks, the inside of the Mercedes smells like leather and good cologne while the Granada smells like vinyl dishwashing gloves dipped in elk pee; when driven, the Mercedes is smooth and quiet, while the Granada ride is like driving a dumpster and it sounds like one too. The Mercedes hubcaps are made at the same place that makes high-end electronics enclosures, while the Granada hubcaps are made as an afterthought at the same place that stamps out kazoos.

There is not a single ‘78 Granada still on the road, whereas one often sees a vintage Mercedes 280 still looking grand and cruising like a champ.

D

Deleted member 8987

Having driven both, yes, you would. KNOWING folks who had to deal with both after 30K, then 60K, guess which one got dumped first?
Of course that depends on whether or not you can handle regular $10K services or more.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I always get the two confused.....

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
This just in from Spock.....

IMG_2728.JPG

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
$5,000! Seems like far too much for a prank... but there it is! https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/granada/1859510.html
Ghia bodied?

Granadas were good for:

• Drivers who could no longer recall where they’d parked.
  • Drivers who would get home and blanked out on the groceries out the the trunk for two weeks.
  • Drivers who really thought a Granada actually looked and drove like a Mercedes 280, which they had never seen in person.
  • Drivers whose licenses were pulled a couple of years earlier due to cognitive issues.
  • Those giveaways on game shows where the car spun on a turntable and balloons fell from above, giving the winning contestant the brief illusion that they might have won something of value.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dad's 1964 Mercedes had 280k miles on the odometer and still handled fine in the late 1970s. Not so the Granada. I was in the car with my friend when he wrecked his in about 1978 if I recall right. Never been in a car that handled that bad. The AMC Gremlin that we were following took the corner like nothing, and they weren't anything to brag about.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
A lady I have worked with bought a new Granada. The interior said Monarch. There is a gentleman in a town South of me, drives an old red Granada three times a week to keep it running. It has no rust, but paint is faded, with 6 auto.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
But it didn't have the sweep of Corinthian leather (with Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez playing in the background.

I don't remember the Rodrigo piece playing in that commercial. Was it really?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yep... by-golly that's from the second moment of the Rodrigo piece (though it is a twisted version).