• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Exhaust system routing and middle clamp

Daves1957TR-3

I rooted around a bit on this forum but didn't find what I needed. Does anyone have any pics of the chassis from the bottom showing how the exhaust pipe/muffler routes? Like where it goes thru the box and especially how the middle clamp attaches. When we took the old system out in May it was my stepson who did the underneath work so I didn't get a good look at the installation. I should've had him take a few pics, my bad. He lives in TX and was visiting so having him return to the scene of the crime is not an option.

Cheers, Dave

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
P9MLp4Q.jpg

xyvvC5S.jpg

ivDHReV.jpg

Sorry, I don't work under Triumphs, so all my pics are from the top. Plus, the bracing on the TR3 frame makes it difficult to see the bracket from the bottom anyway.

The bracket crosses between the frame members and is held there with bolts going through rubber isolator grommets. In the first pic you can see the bolt and grommet on the outside of the frame. The front pipe and muffler pipe come together AT the bracket, and the bracket clamps them together. You usually have to do some bending with a crowbar to get the pipes centered vertically in the frame box, or you will have a knock when you drive the car. That's about it...very simple set-up!

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Wow, this is just what I needed! Thanks!! Unfortunately I am working it from the bottom :( but hopefully it'll go OK.

Cheers, Dave

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Started in today. Got the car jacked up, parts laid out, and went from the front. Got the front pipe and muffler in, and that accursed center clamp. That was a bear! Resonator and rear hangar tomorrow, then manifold back in tomorrow or Thurs. Here is a pic with my able co-mechanic Ben.

Cheers, Dave

20170725_135008[1].jpg

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

No kidding! He's bugging me about it already! I have been giving him some lessons on the '40 Buick - if he can learn that clutch he'll be able to drive any car with a clutch. Up to now it has been reverse only, today was forward for the first time. He's still figuring out "3 on the tree" though!

Cheers, Dave

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
facing the same problem!I dislodged the exhaust pie while putting the motor back in (again
0. It feels as though it is catching on the bottom half of the clamp and won't slide backwards. as you say it is a bit of a ber. shal have to call in a second pair of (younger) hands.
thanks for the info.... and the under side photo too

michael

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Remainder of exhaust system went in smoothly. Before reinstalling the manifold I decided to free up and clean the block drain. Got it loose, opened it up - no flow! :eek: Removed the valve completely, still no coolant, and I could see the crud plug! :eek::eek: Rammed wire, drift, and then drill (by hand) and pulled out some crud, but only seepage at most. My block is apparently constipated! Looks like a head pull to clean? I will start a new thread since I have some questions...

Cheers, Dave