• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Feb 26th 1979

Basil

Administrator
Boss
That's when I witnessed a Total Eclipse of the sun. We were stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls, Montana. It was the eeriest thing I've ever witnessed. Broad daylight then it got darker and darker and when the sun went total it was like night time. Every dog in the neighborhood was howling. HAs anyone else ever witnesses a total eclipse? If so where and when?

Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia
To see the total eclipse of the sun"

(Wish I'd been with Carly at that moment ...)

catfood

Jedi Knight
Middle of the English channel on the in-laws yacht. Very weird. Wind dropped to nothing, dark were we were but could see light all the way around on the horizon. Unfortunately it was quite cloudy so only got a fleeting glimpse as the sun disappeared. 11th August 1999.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We were up to our necks in snow back then, plotting our escape to Florida. Our latitude was not in the total eclipse path IIRC.

As a kid, we saw a solar eclipse, not sure of the date but it's certainly out there on record. Paternal grandfather was an avid stargazer and had several pieces of glass from welding hoods we looked thru to see it. Spooky and fascinating at the same time.

EDIT: 2 Oct 59, I was nine at the time.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Tried to see it as it passed over eastern Washington but just couldn't get there (from graduate school in Chicago). My friends in Portland at that time say it wasn't too impressive with a cloudy sky. HOWEVER, I'm definitely not missing this one as it is a mere 30 minutes drive south (and we're joining an Eclipse Party - with the big event being at about 10:15am). Odds are good that the sky will cooperate, but if it doesn't we'll try to drive to eastern Oregon.
My biggest fear is that roads will be totally clogged. Actually, since the arrival to the path of totality is likely to be spread out for a day or two before, the bigger concern is that everyone will be on the move immediately after it. Lots of concern for first-responders and potential grid-lock as people just pull of highways/freeways.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Don't know if it was total but back in the 1970s? I went up in a Cessna from Danbury Airport with my young son during an eclipse. It got pretty dark for a few minutes - very impressive from the air.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't know if it was total but back in the 1970s? I went up in a Cessna from Danbury Airport with my young son during an eclipse. It got pretty dark for a few minutes - very impressive from the air.
I landed a Cessna 150 at Danbury airport.
It's pretty hairy going through those mountains!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Especially on a hazy summer day. One reason why I switched to Bridgeport. Right on the Sound and a piece of cake to find. They just had a Cessna go down past the dog park on Miry Brook Rd. Right after takeoff, rented plane. 3 people hurt, one critically. Weight may have been a factor. Some pilots never learn.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Too late.... I already bought my tickets. The guy gave me a pretty good deal!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
I can't remember where I put it, but I recently stumbled across my ticket stub from the 1999 European Eclipse.

The clouds came in as it approached totality. Which sort of provided a "filter" for what was going on above. Got to see it start and end, and of course we got total darkness. Just missed out on a clear view of the main event. Dang.

(Technically, the ticket was for the party at Munich's Olympic stadium. But a ticket's a ticket.)

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Party at Munich's Olympic Stadium? Now THAT is a lot of beer.