• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Tar Topper

Skidude

Country flag
I previously posted a thread about batteries for TR3As because my Optima battery was getting old - no problems - just way past it's projected useful life.

Well - it happened - went out to start my car a little while ago - so dead it didn't even groan.

I was going to try to find a more authentic looking battery - but had such good luck with the Optima battery (red top) that I think I'll just replace it with another Optima and order a Tar Topper to cover the modern look of the Optima battery.

My question is - the Tar Topper offers the covers with fake filler plugs in yellow, red, blue and green - no black or white. Which of the colors is the most period correct to what came in the cars when new?

My car is Winchester Blue if that makes any difference.

OP
S

Skidude

Country flag
Also - would you recommend I get a Red Top or Yellow Top Optima battery - or is there really and difference? The cost difference between the two is minimal.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Also - would you recommend I get a Red Top or Yellow Top Optima battery - or is there really and difference? The cost difference between the two is minimal.

I've always went with the redtops, but here is the difference straight from Optima...

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/battery-basics/compare-redtop-vs-yellowtop-battery

Basically, the redtops are "starting" batteries, yellowtops are deep cycle batteries which are great for when you're using a lot of accessories when the engine is off.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Is it fair to say the yellow is better for infrequently used cars? I.e. it can withstand a deep discharge?

Obviously a trickle charger is a good idea regardless of battery used, to reduce load on the generating system. But for a car that sits all winter, even with the power disconnected, the battery voltage may drop a lot. A charger then can boost the battery before the spring driving season.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Not necessarily. Red tops do not lose their charge anywhere near as fast as regular batteries. I've had an Optima red top in my TR3 for about seven years now. It sits in the garage for at least four months without running. I leave the battery disconnected during that time. I generally just put a 10 amp charger on it once during that time for a couple of hours, and then before I wake it up in the spring. I also have a Miata with a red top in it that sits for months at a time. I haven't done anything with it for about five months, just went out there and checked the battery voltage and it's 12.1 VDC. That battery is about eight years old. I guess it's getting time to charge it up and go for a drive. :fat: