• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

*&^%washing machine & well

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Two homeowner crises this week. First, wife heard a bang followed by no water. Turns out the well pump tank blew out. There are 2 in the well pit and the repairman got there pronto & switched tanks, including the control box. The next day, our 18 month old washing machine stopped working. Electrical board problem. What was wrong with the old mechanical dials, I ask? Repairman can't get there until next Wednesday so we headed to the nearest laundromat, put in 20 quarters and hung around till the wash was done. Bad things usually come in 3's. What would the 3rd thing be? It may have happened this morning when my wife opened the refrigerator door and a box of blueberries fell out, opened up and scattered berries all over the kitchen floor. Some of them rolled into dining room 10 feet away. I hope that's it.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Two homeowner crises this week. First, wife heard a bang followed by no water. Turns out the well pump tank blew out. There are 2 in the well pit and the repairman got there pronto & switched tanks, including the control box. The next day, our 18 month old washing machine stopped working. Electrical board problem. What was wrong with the old mechanical dials, I ask? Repairman can't get there until next Wednesday so we headed to the nearest laundromat, put in 20 quarters and hung around till the wash was done. Bad things usually come in 3's. What would the 3rd thing be? It may have happened this morning when my wife opened the refrigerator door and a box of blueberries fell out, opened up and scattered berries all over the kitchen floor. Some of them rolled into dining room 10 feet away. I hope that's it.

Our 10 year old front loader still works, but the bearing on the drum is starting to make a lot of noise. Think I could buy a new drum bearing? Nope! I have to spend several hundred to replace the entire drum!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Samsung?

They are known for that and breaking the spider that holds the drum to the main drive spindle.

David

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Samsung?

They are known for that and breaking the spider that holds the drum to the main drive spindle.

David

Well it could be. It is branded as Sears Kenmore, but I know that's just a branding and they don't actually make anything, A Google search shows:

"Many different manufacturers make Kenmore appliances, including Whirlpool, Bosch, Roper, Amana, Haier, Corning, Samsung and Electrolux."

So it is possible it is a Samsung made machine but I don't know for sure.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
... What would the 3rd thing be? It may have happened this morning when my wife opened the refrigerator door and a box of blueberries fell out, opened up and scattered berries all over the kitchen floor. Some of them rolled into dining room 10 feet away. I hope that's it.

The scattered berries will attract 2-leg and 4-leg creature from all over the neighborhood.

That's the third thing.

You have been warned!

dklawson

Yoda
I have no well but relate to the appliance pain. Several years ago I made the decision to NOT replace our washer and dryer which are both approaching 30 years old. There are some parts which are NLA new. However, these old machines lack electronics and are fairly simple to work on. I prefer to nurse them along as long as possible rather than get new digital, web accessible, appliances with their own cloud storage for God knows what.

number6

Jedi Trainee
When it came time to replace W/D I went with the Miele. So far after 20 years, not one thing has gone wrong. The Washer weighs about 350 lbs and would survive anything short of a nuclear blast.
At the time we also sold Creda, which was a British front loader. Probably would have tried it but they left the US market in short order. Getting parts for it became impossible.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The washer was/is a Whirlpool. But today, I think they are all crap. They use cheap boards from you know where. Can't stand up to the heat and vibration. Wife thinks the two problems are related. I don't. The machine was idle when the tank blew. Had dinner with a friend last night. His a/c unit in the attic overflowed condensate and ruined his dining room fixture.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
The washer was/is a Whirlpool. But today, I think they are all crap. They use cheap boards from you know where. Can't stand up to the heat and vibration. Wife thinks the two problems are related. I don't. The machine was idle when the tank blew. Had dinner with a friend last night. His a/c unit in the attic overflowed condensate and ruined his dining room fixture.

The problem being that with circuit boards, they either work or they don't - but very much agree and IMHO Whirlpool brand is about the worst of what is out there - We have kitchenaid appliances (whirlpool) and they are a PITA - especially the fridge which has a defective circuit board with NO brand support. Many of these names (Maytag/ Kitchenaid) used to stand for quality. Sigh. (what follows here is a self censored comment about the state of the world)

dklawson

Yoda
That's the reason I am nursing along our old W/D. They have some control timers but no circuit boards. They are both 29 year old Maytags so they are both largely mechanical.

I decided almost 4 years ago to have our crawlspaced sealed. To meet code our 27 year old Trane HVAC system had to be replaced. I could fix the Trane as it was simple and typically nothing was required other than to replace capacitors or contactors. It may not have been efficient but it just kept going. The service we have now sells Carrier. It's a good unit. However, it blew its first capacitor last week... not quite through 3 cooling seasons. Fortunately I chose this service because they included a 10 year labor warranty along with Carrier's 10 year parts warranty. The recent repair cost me nothing but I did have to remind them that I didn't need to pay for the repair. I am going to order a spare set of caps and contactors to have at the ready for future problems. I'll pray that the circuit boards last longer than I fear they will.

dklawson

Yoda
I am shocked that I am NEEDING to post again to this thread.

Something electrical "hit" our house this weekend. Yesterday we had to replace our cable modem, router, and a cable splitter in the crawlspace. All were "blown out" as was one of our TV's HDMI inputs. This morning, the hot water heater decided to act up. Once I got the water heater going I decided to test it by running a load of hot laundry. The washing machine filled its drum and stopped.

I still love my 28+ year old Maytag. There was a schematic tucked inside the control panel and I was quickly able to determine it was the top loader door safety switch. Because I never throw things out... I had a nearly identical switch in my collection. Two repairs before lunch. Not bad and it wouldn't have been possible if I had newer appliances.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I am shocked that I am NEEDING to post again to this thread.

Something electrical "hit" our house this weekend. Yesterday we had to replace our cable modem, router, and a cable splitter in the crawlspace. All were "blown out" as was one of our TV's HDMI inputs. This morning, the hot water heater decided to act up. Once I got the water heater going I decided to test it by running a load of hot laundry. The washing machine filled its drum and stopped.

I still love my 28+ year old Maytag. There was a schematic tucked inside the control panel and I was quickly able to determine it was the top loader door safety switch. Because I never throw things out... I had a nearly identical switch in my collection. Two repairs before lunch. Not bad and it wouldn't have been possible if I had newer appliances.

When it rains it pours!

Speaking of electrical problems, we have very strong summer thunder storms with lots of lightening. As a result power outages are a too common occurrence. Years ago we got rid of our land line and now only have VOIP and Mobile phone service. Our mobile phone service relies on an M-Cell to give us a signal and then goes over internet, so even our cell phones are VOIP while at home (we don't have good regular cell coverage where we live).

Anyway, when we would have a power outage our modem would go off-line and we would lose all phone service as a result. Then I bought a UPS and plugged all the phone-related stuff, including the modem, into that so now when we have a poser outrage we still have phone service and internet.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
There is a perfect fix for all those washer problems and you save on electricity also! :encouragement: PJ

View attachment 49695

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

dklawson

Yoda
There is a perfect fix for all those washer problems and you save on electricity also! :encouragement: PJ

View attachment 49695

Oddly enough... last month my wife brought home her grandmother's WWII era washboard. I'll mention to her that we could have used it instead. I don't think she'll find it amusing.

And Basil... your phone experience is why we have never bundled our phone service with our cable provider and why we still have a land line. We've had to use an old hard-wired princess phone a couple of times this year to report our cable and power outages.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Oddly enough... last month my wife brought home her grandmother's WWII era washboard. I'll mention to her that we could have used it instead. I don't think she'll find it amusing.

And Basil... your phone experience is why we have never bundled our phone service with our cable provider and why we still have a land line. We've had to use an old hard-wired princess phone a couple of times this year to report our cable and power outages.

There are definitely tradeoffs but so far, with the UPS to keep everything going, we've not had many issues. If our cable goes out in our area for other than at home power outage then I have to drive to the top of the hill to have cell coverage to call the cable provider. Luckily that hasn't happened much (maybe twice). But the savings for not paying monthly land line charge more than makes up for the minor inconveniences.

Basil

Administrator
Boss

View attachment 49695

Picture of our Utility sink in the laundry room.

IMG_3155.jpg

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Washer repairman comes manana. Meanwhile, my faithful and trusty IBM Selectric III typewriter (remember them?) went kaflooey. Carriage won't return, in fact when you hit return it goes to the right stop not back to the left. Ever try to work on one of those? Go online and see what folks have to say about that. Plus my trusty repairman has retired and I believe is now taking a dirt nap for eternity. Any advice will be appreciated. One more thing. I have 2 computers, both using Win 10. Desktop just got Windows "upgrades" that required a restart. Laptop - nothing at all. Huh?

dklawson

Yoda
I love Selectrics. It's what I learned on. Sorry, I have never even thought about what is involved with making that ball dance around. Keep digging, I'm sure there must be other people repairing them.