• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Shifter Question

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
I have been unable to remove the dome shaped cover through which the shift lever passes. I can see from the new transmission that it is a press fit and is even secured by a bolt and a screw.
The through bolt and short screw have both been removed. I have sprayed PB Blaster and tapped on it every day for a week and even heated it with a propane torch today, but all to no avail.

It is also tough to get a grip on it. My largest pipe wrench is too small but I can get a small vise grips on it through the opening. I may have an opportunity to purchase a new tool here :encouragement:

I suspect that corrosion between the dis-similar metals is the cause of the problem and will use some fom of anti-seize when assembling the new transmission.

Any advice from those who have gone here before would be greatly appreciated.

Country flag
They can be a bxxch to get off. I even broke one into years ago. Last one I had trouble with I removed the shifter from gearbox and locked it in a vise upside down. Used a hammer and a piece of key-stock to drive it down and off the shifter housing.

Marv

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ISTR I borrowed a big pipe wrench the last time I had that problem.

Heat is counter productive as the aluminum grows quicker than the steel. You might try some dry ice if you can get it.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep, I'm about 50/50 with damaging them taking them off. Lots of PB and whatever leverage you can get on it...until you finally say uncle and start cutting it off.

OP
W

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
Thanks everyone. A new $40 pipe wrench and a few blows from my +2 hammer of fine bashing and the cover is off. The damage from the new sharp wrench jaws should 'buff out'. I'll definately use some never-sieze when assembling the new one

I found that the space between the cover and the lever was packed full of what seem to be short strips of leather. They are so soaked with PB Blaster that I cannot tell if they were installed dry or not. Are these factory installed? Seems like they are just there as anti-rattle items.

First attempt at uploaded pics here.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.jpg
    IMG_1928.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_1930.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 85

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah, the leather is very odd. Never seen anything like it in any of mine.

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There is a service note about putting a bit of rubber hose inside the spring, though.

Oddly enough, I can see an icon for "attached thumbnails" but there doesn't seem to be a link under it. Probably just the mobile interface ? (I'm using Firefox on Android).

OP
W

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
No link, just the three thumbnails. They are my first attempt at adding pictures.
Does anyone else not see them? Or does anyone see them?

PeterK

Yoda
I had to cut one off then peel it away to get the cover off my 4A. I had a spare junk TR3 top cover that the aluminum was broken off at the shifter mount, probably from an attempt by someone with a BFH in frustration. +1 on antisieze.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I sees it too. The leather seems a good idea. Mine rattles annoyingly. Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My 3A rattled so bad I always rested my hand on the shifter to quiet it. I had the opportunity to balance the TR2 engine, and there is no rattle at all, even though it doesn't have the "anti-rattle spring". Balancing an engine during rebuild is very worth the $100-$150 it costs!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No link, just the three thumbnails. They are my first attempt at adding pictures.
Does anyone else not see them? Or does anyone see them?
They work fine on my laptop; just not my Android phone. Got to be a bug in the forum software; or else they assumed that mobile users wouldn't want to download photos.