• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just Another Day in the Smokies

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just saw these two guys walk across our driveway and off into the wooded area next to the house. One is partially hidden behind the firepit.

bears.jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We were visited again last night: Running the weedeater yesterday I disturbed a yellow jackets' nest, and paid the price; got stung on the forefinger. This morning my hand is swollen and itching.

I marked the nest with a stick so I could go back and spray some wasp killer down the hole this morning after they had settled down. When I went out a few minutes ago, found the stick moved and the nest unearthed... BEARS! Here's a picture of the nest and scratch marks on a root from the bear's claws, I assume. You'll probably have to zoom in to see; nest is to the right of the pine cone:

0717170736-1.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! I hate bee stings (and I'm very allergic). The big problem on our property are fire ants. We get fire ant mounds popping up all over our place. No sooner do we get one under control than another pops up.

The entire bare area seen here is an ant colony.

ants.jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hope you put out a thank you treat for the bear that took care of the yellow jacket nest.

David

Yeah, I have a treat for him/her. Will be calling Tenn. Wildlife Resource Agency to see about relocating these guys.

And the yellow jackets are still here. Looks like they're making a new nest in its place. But I'll be taking care of that after dark tonight...

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Do not hold a flash light while you deal with the nest. They will fly at the light. Be quick with the attack.

David