• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Triple Webers on TR6

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
As all you Weber folk know there is very little room for air filters between the Webers and the inside Guard. I am told that the trumpets MUST NOT be removed.... Any comments?
Also what experience have you got with what type of air cleaner with and without trumpets.
help would be appreciated

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
The previous owner of my car installed triple webers on my TR250. He bought some nice K&N filters for them...the thinnest you could buy and the front filter still touched the inner wheel well...I had to use an offset screwdriver just to get the filter off there was so little clearance. When I removed the filters, I found that the PO had also removed the stacks....webers do not like this! I don't recommend running without the stacks...the longer the better. In order to get more clearance for the front carb, during my restoration I lengthened the pocket in the inner fender. I plan on running stacks with foam filters.

Cheers
Tush

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The issue with eliminating the ram stacks on the 40DCOE is that the ram stack helps to locate the auxiliary venturi and controls the air flow. APT supplies a K&N short ram stack for the 40DCOE under their part number WSS4016 that will work fine in a TR250/TR6 with triple 40DCOE carbs, the K&N part number is 85-5042A. You might also be able to find it from other sources in this country as well but a quick look and see had the best price from APT over here. They also have them at Revington TR in the UK under part number KNSS1640. Mine came from APT but I have good experience dealing with both places. Assuming that you are running K&N filters, you will either need to use 45DCOE filters or open up the hole in the 40DCOE filters to clear the lip of the stack.

https://aptfast.com/ShowItem/102460 16mm Tall Weber 40mm DCOE Ram Stack.aspx

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/knss1640/name/r-pipe-4odcoe-16mm

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Picture 037.jpg

Here is a "before" pic of mine....you can see how close the front filter is...

Cheers
Tush

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Finally got around to getting a couple of pictures of the K&N stubby ram stacks. There might, just might, be a bit more room at the inner fender on the TR6 compared to the TR250, but not by much. But like M_Pied_Lourd said earlier, it's still an offset screwdriver operation to get the filter cover off.

Attachments

• Elevated View.jpg
    Elevated View.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Lower View.jpg
    Lower View.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 124

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Finally got around to getting a couple of pictures of the K&N stubby ram stacks. There might, just might, be a bit more room at the inner fender on the TR6 compared to the TR250, but not by much. But like M_Pied_Lourd said earlier, it's still an offset screwdriver operation to get the filter cover off.

Looks great. It does look like you have a bit more room at the front. Where did you buy your stubby stacks from and what size are they?

Cheers
Tush

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looks great. It does look like you have a bit more room at the front. Where did you buy your stubby stacks from and what size are they?

Cheers
Tush

I bought mine from APT under their part number WSS4016 stated as 16mm tall for the ram stack by APT, overall length is 53mm per K&N. They're pricey, but compared to prices I've seen getting them direct from K&N (K&N # 85-5042A) or places like JEGS or Summit, the price is pretty good. K&N sources then out of the UK from what I understand and are supplying aluminum ones these days. Mine are stainless steel.

https://aptfast.com/ShowItem/102460%2...m%20Stack.aspx

Revington TR in the UK also sells the 16mm ram stacks under their part number KNSS1640. With you being in Canada and considering the current exchange rates along with Revington's price (£29.98 ex. VAT/£35.98 inc. VAT), it's possible that you might be able to save a bit getting them from Revington if the shipping costs don't eat up the savings.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/k...pe-4odcoe-16mm

If your filters are the K&N filters for the 40DCOE you will need to open them up a bit to install the ram stacks. If you happen to have 45DCOE filters, then you do not need to open up the filters. If you look at the illustration on the APT link, you will see a lip below the bell of the ram stack where the little clips ride to hold the ram stacks in place. That lip will not clear the standard K&N 40DCOE filter base. I set the ram stack lip against the bores of the filter base for each carb, marked them off with a Sharpie and then went after the filter bases with a die grinder using the ink marks as my guide and checking the work in progress against a ram stack periodically. It was a bit tedious but much cheaper than going out and buying a new set of filters just to get a slightly larger bore size in the filter base.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Perfect! Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers
Tush