• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fly United, if your a gambler!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Think that ticket you bought for a seat on a United flight is yours? Just heard on the news, Only if someone else doesn't want to pay more for it! Imagine setting in the aircraft, getting ready for your flight and someone comes in and says, sorry sir, this person just paid more for that seat, your being transferred to another flight, maybe you could pay more than this guy and keep it! FLY UNITED! THE FRIENDLY AIRLINE. :rolleyes2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Many airlines have been treating "upgraded" seats much like an eBay auction. You apply online and put in your highest price you're willing to pay. Money talks.
My wife and I will be flying United (what have I just said?) in January and I'm already concerned about getting bumped from one of our multiple flight legs.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It doesn't work quite that way. You have to sign up IN ADVANCE to indicate that you would be WILLING to be bumped. Not really that much different than the way it works today, except you volunteer in advance instead of while sitting in your seat; and then don't always get called.

And they do share the money with you. There have been many times when I wouldn't really care if I took a later flight, especially if it put some extra money in my pocket. Of course, there have also been lots of times where I did have to be on the flight I was on; so in that case I wouldn't sign up to be bumped (or volunteer under the old scheme).

I'm not trying to defend United, I hate the entire flying experience so much that I drive ridiculous distances instead. But the current story does seem like a not-too-unreasonable solution to the problem.

The other choice is to pay more for airline tickets. Seems that most people (including me) don't want to do that.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm weird - I'd be happy to pay more for a ticket, probably 25-50% more - for a wide seat, more leg room, two by two seating, smaller crowds, better food - and most of all - better pay for the crew.

Like Randall, I choose driving (or train if possible) whenever I can.

T.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have used mileage to upgrade to first class 3 times and United employees have tried to talk me out of my seat for someone more important. I have always told them I have a ticket, United sold it. The flight crew has tried to imply that my ticket is not valid since I was "upgraded". Such service. I am glad I don't have to fly anymore.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had my fill of air travel. If it's too far to drive, it ain't a destination I'd go. That keeps me in CONUS and the larger two continents; North and South America. No problem... but a sailboat with a 36 foot waterline would be considered for other destinations. :smirk:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I HATE flying United - rarely had good experience with them.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Untied Airlines. But this mornings NY Times had an article about Ann Coulter being seat relocated on Delta. She went ballistic. I recently flew Jet Blue from West Palm to White Plains. No problems.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Untied Airlines. But this mornings NY Times had an article about Ann Coulter being seat relocated on Delta. She went ballistic. I recently flew Jet Blue from West Palm to White Plains. No problems.

Does sound like there are two parts to that story

https://money.cnn.com/2017/07/17/news/companies/delta-ann-coulter-response/index.html

and I guess Ann Coulter is umm "controversial" enough that many twitter followers were rooting for the airline.

https://nymag.com/selectall/2017/07/delta-responds-to-coulter-seat-tweet-calls-her-unacceptable.html