• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Let there be [LED] light!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
A couple of weeks ago I installed LED's into all the gauges of my TR6. Tonight I took the car out when it was dark and oh my, I can now actually see my gauges!
I'll bet if I bypass the rheostat they will even be brighter. Have a look.....

Large gauge LED lights.jpg
Small gauge LED lights.jpg

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You are welcome guys. Some of the receptacles are a pain to get to. Thanks to poolboy's suggestion I was able to get to the small gauges by removing the ashtray on top of the dash... but it was still a pain to get to them.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Stupid question, but will these work in the TR4? I want to get some if so. Planning to run LED running/brake in the rear, but normal turn so I don't have to run an electronic flasher. Would love to have better gauge light too

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have no idea what bulbs are in the TR4 gauges. It would be easy enough to remove one and check to see what kind of base it is and then do a search for an LED if it's different than an E10 base.
Also remember that polarity matters on LED's.

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
They look great. I have the same ones, but can't get them to work. I hooked one up with a socket wired to a 12v source and they work. I am not sure if the ground is good on the gauge, or gauge to vehicle, so need to test that out. Any suggestions? I also need to bypass the rheostat, or get a new one.

Perry

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Perry, if your current bulbs work then I can only assume that the ground is good so the LED's should work. Make sure they are screwed all the way into the base so they make contact with the positive side.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I am the furthest thing from an electrical expert... but don't LEDs require negative ground?

Marla

Stupid question, but will these work in the TR4? I want to get some if so. Planning to run LED running/brake in the rear, but normal turn so I don't have to run an electronic flasher. Would love to have better gauge light too
I bought LED lights from Moss and replaced the dash lights in my 1964 TR4...really made an improvement...you have to get the short base bulbs though...Marla

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Perry, if your current bulbs work then I can only assume that the ground is good so the LED's should work. Make sure they are screwed all the way into the base so they make contact with the positive side.

That I will have to do. My current bulbs do work, and I need to take the gauges apart a bit to get at the sockets to screw the bulbs in sufficiently. I have been driving it so much, good thing, I don't want to stop for any work. I have to get a speedo as mine is broke, and install the LED's. Maybe if I have a week of rain coming.

Perry

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Couple of answers for above: yes, colored lites are available (especially red for our tail lights) and positive ground are also available. I think I got mine from Litezupp Industries — just google them.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I replaced the dash lights with litezupp LEDs for both Spitfires. What a difference! Also added red LEDs for the brake lights and amber for the turn signals. The clear / white? LEDs for the running lights seems as bright as the headlights. When I apply the brakes at night, it so bright it almost singes the eyebrows of the guy behind me. Communication with Litezupp seems to be limited to email and website, but they were quite helpful with returns when I ordered the wrong lights for the dash.