• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lilly: Day one

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

So we made it home today and the unpacking started. Lots to go thru. first objective is the get the title transferred and for that i need to take the car over to the DMV for a VIN verification. Hopefully can do that Monday and then get the body and engine out of the trailer. Rest is in the floor and waiting to be inventoried. healey 2.jpgIMG_0087.jpgIMG_0088.jpg

Jim 58 BN6

Jedi Trainee
Wow, that looks like one heck of a kit car, congratulations! Good luck, and I hope you find that everything is there (it looks like there are plenty of bumpers...). Jim

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Wow, that looks like one heck of a kit car, congratulations! Good luck, and I hope you find that everything is there (it looks like there are plenty of bumpers...). Jim

Agreed. Putting it back together from that point looks like a lot more fun than stripping down all the rusty and greasy parts.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I can't believe you can take the car by the DMV and get verified so quick. In California, you have to make an appointment and it takes a while since only a few are trained. Also appointment needed with the CHP. I finally hired a free lance Vin Verifier. Cost $80.

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Congrats! Great to see another one with a better than evens chance of making it back on the road! Looks like you have a good space to work in.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

In Delaware we have state inspection lanes. They have gotten so much better over the past 10 years or so. Usually you can take the car in the lane and a worker verifies the VIN number and the title match. then you go in and get the title work done. Hoping there are no issues but you can never be sure.

yup three bumpers, two windshields, two transmissions, and some other doubles. the PO had been collecting parts for a number of years to get this car back together. New wiring harness, new front shocks, new carpet set...and some boxes i have not gone thru yet. started sorting and going thru today so i could move the boxes out of the center of the floor. Plan to continue tomorrow. Main thing now is safe storage. then once i get the VIN verified, getting the car out of the trailer and on the lift. engine is also still on the trailer in front of the car. borrowed an engine hoist today to help get that out and on a dolly. need to get her inside, then i can get organized. Looking at everything can be a bit overwhelming. but if i break it down into small jobs, with the help of this forum, i believe i can manage.
still have some parts that will need cleaning up. was just looking into a blast cabinet to help with that. should be fun.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
By the way, California has a law that says they will only verify VIN if the engine is in the car. I know that won't affect you in your state but others might be aware of that.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
By the way, California has a law that says they will only verify VIN if the engine is in the car. I know that won't affect you in your state but others might be aware of that.

And California has contributed a lot of grief to Healey owners by adding a two-digit "year of manufacture" to the front of the factory VIN on titles and registrations, which doesn't match the VIN stamped on the plate. I have written several official AHCA letters explaining that little quirk so that people can get ex-California cars registered in their state.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
And California has contributed a lot of grief to Healey owners by adding a two-digit "year of manufacture" to the front of the factory VIN on titles and registrations, which doesn't match the VIN stamped on the plate. ....
That must be new. Mine still starts with BN4 ....

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
And California has contributed a lot of grief to Healey owners by adding a two-digit "year of manufacture" to the front of the factory VIN on titles and registrations, which doesn't match the VIN stamped on the plate. I have written several official AHCA letters explaining that little quirk so that people can get ex-California cars registered in their state.

My '67 BJ8 has the '67' prefix. OTOH, California did Healey owners a solid when it dropped the smog test requirement for pre-1968 cars (and we have never had 'safety inspections'--I have mixed feelings about that).

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

well went to the DMV for the VIN verification. i could not get it because the VIN plate was screwed on and not riveted.... like i could not drill out pop rivets as easy as taking out a screw....
anyway i have to now go thru the Delaware stolen vehicle division of the state police to have them fill out a form saying the car iis ok to title. it is always something. i could have requested the VIN be verified this way from the beginning but figured while the car was on the trailer, may as well just run it over. So that was about an hour this morning.
Then Lilly decided she really did not want to tleave the trailer. the right rear brake was stuck. it was a chore to get it out, but then to get it into the garage and on the lift... man it was over 90* so i was drenched. drug it in the garage with my lawn mower. So mission accomplished as far as getting it on the lift. got under the car and did a better check on the frame. poke around all over and all felt real soild. the only surprise was the rear lower arm bracket on the passenger side looks to have been replaced. not sure if it broke? a wheel came off? no real signs of any other damage. So we shall see.
next i want to go over what is on the car and either remove it or make sure it is secure. then the rear and the rear suspension needs to come out. the frame is kind of grimey but not real bad. want to clean it up so i can paint it. (best way to clean up?)

couple of picsIMG_0096.jpgIMG_0105.jpgIMG_0099.jpg

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Drone, prior to going back to the DMV you might purchase one of the originality guides, which describe and show that VIN plates on Healeys were screwed on originally. "Original Austin Healey" by Anders Ditlev Clausager is one of the standards.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

Well at this point, i can't just go back. they did register the application. So i have to have the car looked at by the state's auto division. i could have done it that way anyway but figured while the car was on the trailer, i may as well take it over to the inspection lanes. i have a call in to the guy who does that. he can come out and go thru the car. i have a COA also which shows the engine and the VIN go together. i am sure there won't be an issue once he sees it. And if hereally wants it pop riveted on, i can do that and then drill them back out after he leaves. Not a big deal. just need to get him here.

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
Now that I see what other states have to go through to get their cars registered/inspected, it makes New York a simple task. All you need is a bill of sale,title or registration (depending on the year), Insurance and some signed papers. Then they give you a 10 day temporary inspection tag to get it officially inspected at a licensed shop.

Country flag
Now that I see what other states have to go through to get their cars registered/inspected, it makes New York a simple task. All you need is a bill of sale,title or registration (depending on the year), Insurance and some signed papers. Then they give you a 10 day temporary inspection tag to get it officially inspected at a licensed shop.
Even less in Ohio; I took a form to my BMW dealer, a guy signed it and I went straight to the MVO and got a title (to be mailed), the registration and Historic plates. I didn't even take the Healey!

A month__or less__later, I went back and re-registered it with a model year plate (the stipulation being that the Historic Plate remains in the vehicle).

Upon moving to Florida it was a simple trip__in the Healey__to the DMV so the clerk could go out and physically see the car and VIN.

Not sure why I did it__30+ years ago__but I did rivet the VIN tag(s) in place (it's not as though that will cost me an originality demerit...).

IMG_0142.jpg

Using the year of manufacture plate in FL is a little more difficult, in that the plate must be sent to Tallahassee (State Capitol) to be authenticated before it can be reused. You are not allowed to restore (repaint, or even touch-up) the plate, and reproductions are not acceptable. In Florida, the first digit(s) denote the county, and while you could reuse any designated plate in the county the vehicle is registered in, I did happen to find a VGC plate (on ebay, of course) appropriate to where we live.

Unfortunately, the Healey's Florida plate/registration has to be renewed (by mail or online) every one (1) or two (2) years; I don't remember what Ohio's renewal interval was, but when I registered a '68 MGB in Louisiana in 1998, it did not have to be renewed until 2048__FIFTY YEARS!! I don't know if that's still the case there, having moved away in 2000, but wow, wouldn't that be great!

Have fun with Lilly; at least you've skipped over many of the heartbreaking tasks of tearing a car down, as it looks like yours is on a short path to recovery.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Vehicles running antique plates don't have to be renewed at all here and there is no annual inspection required for antique cars either.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

In Delaware we do not have to have an inspection or pay for tags for an antique car either. but we do have to have the VIN verified. Got a call back from the man today. he is a little backed uo but will stop by the house one day in a couple fo weeks. Works for me since i am sure i will be a lot longer than that to get this car road ready.

still pulling out parts thru today. Most of the week went as expected on the car side. every bolt came out with a good fight. thank the lord for long breaker bars... wow. of course you always find a few things which is why i like to tear this down and then start back up. today i found the left rear shock was not bolted up tight. two different caps on the axle u bolts. but for the most part i like what i see. drained the oil in the rear and it looked really good. No leaks around the rear or axles either. the bearings at the end of the axles seemed really smooth as well. SO other than stubborn bolts slowing me down, i am making progress. couple of pics attached.
IMG_0127.jpgIMG_0128.jpg