• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Aero Screens?

scottdr

Freshman Member
I am a new '58 TR3A owner and really like the looks of the aero screens I see in many TR pics. Were these a factory option? Are reproduction ones available and if so, any suggestions, source? How do they install? Any issues removing full windscreen? Thanks for the education! SR

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I see them on Ebay every now and again. They are usually out of my budget when they do show up. Like $800+.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, as John says, originals are scarce and very expensive. Up until TS32833 there were bolt mountings in the scuttle for the aero screens after which they were eliminated. There are "Brooklands" type aero screens that are available from various sources including Moss, Victoria British, etc. I have a set of those for my TR3 that I bought back in the '80s that cost about $80 per pair IIRC. :cool:

https://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=72391

IMG_0681s.jpg

wifegonnakillme

Jedi Hopeful
I had an ebay set on my first tr3 - loved them. It was a 3A so I had to drill to mount them (one of the most difficult things to do is to put non-original holes in a new paint job), but I never regretted it. Ran most of the time with one up, one turned flat and a half open tonneau... Whether or not I was going faster because of the reduced wind resistance, I don't know, but it sure felt faster :smile:

If memory serves, there were two types the original shorter variety and the aftermarket ones that were taller...

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I would like to get a set also. My 270XX car has those 4 chrome bolts, but I guess the ones that Moss or anyone sells do not line with that bolt pattern. I was going to a set of aftermarket ones that do not fit the original bolt pattern and try and modify it to fit rather than drill new holes. I still cannot find anyone that has the 4 chrome bolts either. Plus I was going call TRF and ask them about it because they seem to have good information.
steve

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's what I've heard too, the common repros don't fit the bolts and don't look the same as the originals.
FWIW, I think TRF has the bolts available. You'll have to double- check, but I think they are PN 602078. $7.50 each.

If not, MMC has some low profile acorn nuts in chromed brass that I think would look good. You'd have to come up with a stud of course, maybe cut the head off a regular bolt.

SASSAMON

I would like to drive with Aero Screens.
Has anyone had difficulties with the police while driving with Aero Screens. I have questions with doing so, as the state inspection sticker is stuck onto the windscreen and would not be there when the Aero Screens are in use.
Also with Aero Screens the windscreen wipers are not available.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Roger

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I am sure that would be a state to state thing. For example, in Texas the sticker goes on a tab on the license plate. If the sticker goes on your windscreen in MA, then you would have to get the sticker on the aeroscreen to be legal. You may be able to hook up the wipers...just to be legal??

SASSAMON

I am sure that would be a state to state thing. For example, in Texas the sticker goes on a tab on the license plate. If the sticker goes on your windscreen in MA, then you would have to get the sticker on the aeroscreen to be legal. You may be able to hook up the wipers...just to be legal??
Thank you for the reply. I will have to contact our local Authorities just to make sure that I do not get any surprises when I drive.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
To avoid the cost of the factory aero screen copies referenced in the link above, a potential solution is to make up brackets to adapt the currently-available "Brooklands" racing screen (from Moss Motors, etc.) to the original TR2/TR3 bolt hole locations. Could be aluminum or another metal such as brass that will more readily take to being chrome-plated. I saw a great set of homemade brackets on a show car about 20 years ago and always wanted to copy them, and hoped that they might be commercially available.

Took photos at the time, but they're pre-digital...

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I researched the aero screen issue over a year ago, purchased all the parts, but have not yet installed them on my 56 TR3 with a dzus attached windshield. The car has the original-placed capture nuts in the cowling with replacement chrome headed bolts.
The Moss Trophy Tourist screens are what I purchased. Supposedly, they will not fit the capture nut spacing on the car, as there is a difference in the width, maybe up to 1/8th of an inch. The solution I chose was a set of brackets from Peter Wigglesworth in England that adjust for the width as well as come with various thickness fiber washers. Peter also tells how to add the rubber piece to the bottom to keep wind and rain from going under the aero screen (TRF part numbers and detailed description). The eBay offering a couple entries above appear to be an exact copy of the package using Peter's solution. With shipping, his brackets were 127.25 BP. They were very high quality and his instructions were precise.
I just finished a side screen project, so it is hard for me to think about pulling the windshield and installing the aero screens, but it is only a little water, or was that "only a flesh wound?"
Good luck and let me know if you want to contact Peter or would like the part numbers for the channel or rubber trim to attach below the aero screen.
The car in primer was what Peter sent me as an example of fit. The blue side screen picture is my car.

Screen Bracket Kit.jpgScreen mount 1.jpgScreen mount 2.jpgIMG_2227.jpg

Last edited:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Do you think you could have opened out the holes and made the Moss aero shield fit? It sounds close.

Yes I hear I have not taken my windshields off for probably 15 years. If I remember correct, they slid towards the back on the dzus rail and that hits the mirror, but I kinda remember also that if you loosen one side and lift that side up and off and hold it up a few inches then unhook the side, the windshield does not need to slide and come right off, it lifts off. I might try it this year just for the fun of it and drive with no windshield.

steve

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, the windscreens with the dzus fasteners slides forward. You just have to remove the wiper arms first. The bolt on style just lifts off. You probably should remove the wiper arms with that one also. :excitement:

banjojambo

Freshman Member
Country flag
I drive with no windshield just goggles , The police do not bother old cars since the pebble beach classic comes through this state

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yep...I don't have a license plate on the front of any of my cars...which is mandatory in Texas. I have only had one Trooper ever comment on it, and even he did not ticket. Enforcement tends to be lenient with classic cars.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, when the car was built 20 years before they were born they tend to let things slide. For one thing, they may be unclear on what rules apply (e.g. number of brake lights, presence of turn signals & seat belts, what is a windshield, do year-of-manufacture plates require a front plate, etc).

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yeh that is a good one about the front plate, they used to make you have a front plate in Washington State, but when they started giving just one plate for a collector car, they back off. I did get pulled over for seat belts in my TR3 and told the officer I did not think I needed them because of the age of the car. He kinda angrily went and checked it out because he was like 25 years old and let me go after they told him I did not, but he told me I was wrong because my son could hit his teeth on that chrome bar above the glovebox that he was holding onto. I think he was right about that because my sister’s friend lost her front teeth on a dash in a 1960 Ford Falcon that my sister was driving back in the day.

That same son purchased a 2006 BMW last year and DMV only sent him one plate at least that is what he told me and he is good about stuff like that. Maybe they are saving money because the price of plates has gone up and the amount has gone down. I still have 2 on the Saab, but will wait until they make their move and make me get knew plates.