• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Photobucket Disables Third Party Hosting

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oddly enough, mine seem to still be working.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Test post from Photobucket. Image linked from my Photobucket library.

groundhog.jpg

Image showed up as I pasted it before hitting Post.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Only thing worse than a po'd groundhog is an armed po'd groundhog!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
we grow 'em tough here in New England.

A few years ago at Sturbridge, we had a family of the critters trying to take over the vegetable gardens. I threw some smoke bombs down in the tunnels to try to drive them into the woods.

Next morning I found the smoke bombs had been thrown back out of the tunnels. Humans do what we can, but Nature wins in the long run.

View attachment 49323

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have a chipmunk living in the mulched area just outside my front door. Here's a pic I took of Mr. Munk the other day coming out of the ground. He doesn't appear to be concerned about me as he will stare at me then leave and come back with me watching him (or her).
IMG_2662.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I deleted all my pictures from Photobucket a couple months ago as luck would have it. Trying to navigate their site had become a chore. Clicking on one of my photos would open a new window for an advertiser. With no way to backspace to my bucket. I'd have to start again from my bookmarks. Charging $399 a year to get your links back is gonna be their downfall. Policy changes like this are a major reason I don't use the cloud for anything I can't stand to loose.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hers a pic from my PB library, no problem at all downloading any of my PB photos.

D

Deleted member 8987

Be Advised: It's a FaceBook styled roll-out. They aren't hitting everyone at once. If you don't pay, and they don't change their mind, the pictures will go away.
Even folks who were paid up on the 20 buck plan for bandwidth have had their photo linking killed. One person (Blogger) is now fully locked out of her account and cannot access them at all.
Give it a week or two and we'll see if these pictures are still here.
google "photobucket blocked 2017", read and weep.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I had deleted all but 2 small photos a couple months ago. Photobucket was still showing I was using 15% of my 2GB. Deleted the last 2 and cancelled my account last night.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
as someone who just got hit by the photobucket stuff - can flickr be used instead and if so, how?

D

Deleted member 8987

I use flickr..have for some time now.
Easy...you just have to know which link to copy. Get the slide show started (and you can start at the photo you want to use), right click, find "view page info", click that, in the window you will scroll down a bit (depending on your resolution) and find something that looks like c1.staticflickr.com, right click anywhere on that line (the whole line will auto select), copy and paste on this forum using the link provided here, and according to Basil, uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box, and here you are.
35334357026_16fb354fbd_b.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I understand why people choose to link to pics from other sites, BUT, if you simply upload the picture to this site, that picture will remain in perpetuity (for as long as this forum lasts). If you must link from a URL instead of uploading to your computer, at east check the check box that says "download and reference locally" You still use the URL of your picture hosting site, but the forum here grabs the photo and stores a copy here locally so if your photo host goes away or stops allowing hot linking in won't matter. The process is the same as hot linking (you use the picture's URL) but by simply checking that little box you ensure the pictures will remain with you post.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, is the quota for free members lifted? Apparently so, since I hit it long ago and it seems I can upload to BCF again now.

The size limits are still annoying, but I can live with them. I'll go back to loading onto BCF until the policy changes again.

Thanks, Basil.

dklawson

Yoda
I have never had a Photobucket account. When I have found images online stored in someone's Photobucket account I have not been successful posting URL links to their images. Based on the current situation I won't even try.

Though this may not be helpful to everyone, you can set up a Google website for free and store your pictures and documents there. I believe the free account storage limit is 100 Mb. That won't be big enough for many people but it is a free way to save a number of images and files online. I have one such account that I just use for file storage. You can see it at:

https://www.sites.google.com/site/purlawson/

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - I started using Google Photos several years ago when Photobucket started throwing up more and more hurdles. Now the Photobucket ads and pop-up windows are ridiculous. View a photo, get a pop-up. View another photo, get another pop-up.

So far very happy with Google Photos, which so far has no maximum storage limit (altho' there are individual file size limits).

I like your DKLawson Transfer Site layout. Is it relatively simple to find the url of a photo so it can be shared on a web page? I opened one of your photos, copied the url, but it was a very long string of numbers and letters which didn't end in jpg, png, etc.

For example, I tried adding your photo of Ford carb floats, but the BCF image box said "invalid file type".

Thanks.
Tom M.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I understand why people choose to link to pics from other sites, BUT, if you simply upload the picture to this site, that picture will remain in perpetuity (for as long as this forum lasts). If you must link from a URL instead of uploading to your computer, at east check the check box that says "download and reference locally" You still use the URL of your picture hosting site, but the forum here grabs the photo and stores a copy here locally so if your photo host goes away or stops allowing hot linking in won't matter. The process is the same as hot linking (you use the picture's URL) but by simply checking that little box you ensure the pictures will remain with you post.

I must be missing something. Where can I upload a photo on BCF, so it can be linked somewhere else? I've tried several of the photos I already have here, but the link to each photo is unusable in the other sites I tried, saying "filename is not valid image type". Example:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/attachment.php?attachmentid=49409&d=1499302319

That link works here on BCF, but not on other websites, as it doesn't end in jpg, png, etc.

Thanks.
Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

In many ways this is a two part question boss. On the one hand it is a question also for other sites - I just find this is often the easiest and best place to ask a variety of questions. On the other hand (and this may have changed - I haven't checked) it has been my experience that I can only upload a certain amount of pictures and only pictures up to a certain size. So, many of the pics I want to share are more than a couple megs in size - and, on my computer at least a PITA to resize - so the third party hosting is easiest. Uploads automatically from phone and links for site.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Doug - I started using Google Photos several years ago when Photobucket started throwing up more and more hurdles. Now the Photobucket ads and pop-up windows are ridiculous. View a photo, get a pop-up. View another photo, get another pop-up.

So far very happy with Google Photos, which so far has no maximum storage limit (altho' there are individual file size limits).

I like your DKLawson Transfer Site layout. Is it relatively simple to find the url of a photo so it can be shared on a web page? I opened one of your photos, copied the url, but it was a very long string of numbers and letters which didn't end in jpg, png, etc.

For example, I tried adding your photo of Ford carb floats, but the BCF image box said "invalid file type".

Thanks.
Tom M.

So, could I link from Google Pics?