• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

E-Type fuel tank mounting bolts [$&^##$%*!!]

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I don't swear often, but this job has caused me to slip a few times. I've got everything set to reinstall my fuel tank. I used a tap to clean out the threads on the mounting points, new rubber grommets installed on the tank - perfect!
But! Getting that bolt in the left rear mounting point started is going to drive me to drink! I just now came inside just to give it a rest for a few minutes. Obviously having the grommet holes lined up perfectly is critical to this task - but you can't see down the hole to tell how well it's lined up. You also can't get your fingers on the bolt very well to try staring the bolt by hand - and I have small hands!
Does anyone have any insight or neat little tricks to get this bolt started? Once it's started I can use a 9/16 open end wrench on it but dang - this is a bear!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I did one a few months ago, as some jockey had used silicone to seal petrol!
if I remember, try using a few pointed bars to locate the holes you can see, and tape the fastener/washers to a long shallow socket on an extension. Best of luck with it!

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You had talked about getting into this project a couple weeks back- glad you pushed forward! Let us know how it goes after this little character-building niggle is squared away.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You had talked about getting into this project a couple weeks back- glad you pushed forward! Let us know how it goes after this little character-building niggle is squared away.

So far I'm learning lots of new "words" that can't be repeated on the forum LOL! I've also lost about 5lbs from sweat! The problem is, these tank mounts, especially the left-rear, are very difficult to get to. The one in the left-rear especially I can barely get my fingers on the bolt to try and turn it to get the threads started! Spent a couple frustrating hours today with no luck! If I could just get the bolt started I could then get a 9/16 open end on it to get it the rest of the way. Not enough room to get a socket on it.

Country flag
Did you chase the threads with tap before you installed tank? Starting threads may be rough enough it won't be an easy task. It might pay to remove tank and chase the threads good. Haven't done that job in a long time but I do remember it was pain to do. If its a new aftermarket tank, you might want to open up all the mounting holes just a bit to allow a little alignment wiggle.

Marv

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Also, are the bolts pointed? If not, get some; they make the job a LOT easier.

653875conebolt.jpg

And if you need any more ~helpful~ words, I've made up my share! :tongue:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Also, are the bolts pointed? If not, get some; they make the job a LOT easier.

View attachment 49244

And if you need any more ~helpful~ words, I've made up my share! :tongue:

Yep they are pointed. I bought them from XKS specific for this purpose. I may have to pull the tank out again and make sure the mounting bracket is completely straight else I'm trying to fit a straight bolt with fine threads into a mounting nut with the threads slightly askew. That's what I'm staring to think "may" be the issue. Because of shete this mount is locate, in the left-rear corner of the boot, I can't look down into the grommet.spacer tube, but I did manage to get my iPhone camera situated over the mount to take a picture. As you can see, the threads down their are signed up with the tube, but look like they "may" me slightly off alignment. Hard to tell for sure as it could just be how the cameras was situated.

IMG_2883.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I've (reluctantly) decided to pull the tank back out and check the alignment of the mounting nut on the left-rear mount. I'm thinking it is slightly askew, thus preventing the fine thread of the bolt from starting.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hope you have the filler hose started on the tank?

Yes, I managed to get the Filler hose on. I used your trick (I think it was you) of cutting a notch so that I could push the hose up further on the neck earn installing the tank.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Nope, not me. I use a lube that deasolves and leaves no trace. Be sure that there is no paint present on the connection.
the foam bit around the drain is a must have, as well.
good luck with it.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Success!!! It is now 12:15 AM and I just came in the house after successfully getting the tank installed (well the hard stuff anyway). I'm now 5 lbs. lighter but it is done! Too tired to go into details right now, but I did a video of many of the steps I used in hopes that it will benefit the next poor sod who has to do this job! The tank is installed, the filler tube is installed, and the left-rear (as looking into the trunk) and left-front grommets/spacers and bolts are in! I still have to install the removable bracket at the rear right of the tank, but that now should be relatively easy (famous last words).

Also, I managed to get the left rear tail light wire harness routed correctly (I describe that in the video as well).

Good night!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not really.....they built the car around the prop shaft!!!!

Actually, if truth be told, they built the car around the heater pipes behind the bulkhead! I've replaced mine with Stainless and it was one heck of a hard job!

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
That can be a fun job as well. Great looking motorcar, but there are a few jobs that are just not for the faint of heart!