• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Third Member - Differential - Carrier Housing - Center Section - Gear Set Cleaning

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Can you spray the entire center set (Gears, Bearing - everything intact) with something like brake cleaner to clean it bare?
I will be changing the pinion seal this week. It all looks good and I don't really feel any slack as it is now set up.
I have searched the web and I see some that feel this ok and as usual others that want it completely disassembled.
I really don't want to go that route. Would this be the same as putting it all in a parts washer and then do a final brake cleaner spray. The rear axle housing has already been sand blasted and degreased prior to the blasting.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've cleaned a few with kerosene and paint thinner/mineral spirits without harm. I just put it in a bucket standing on its flange and fill it up, rotate it to circulate the fluid and drain until it's clean. I immediately pour whatever oil I have handy and rotate some more and let it sit. I don't know if it does any good, but it makes me feel good.
Rut

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
To change the pinion seal, you might as well drop the pinion and replace the bearing. Be sure that any shims are always kept in order. You may get lucky and everything fit back right, otherwise a new crush sleeve is needed for retightening with the correct preload. You can get the numbers off the bearings and they are not that expensive or clean them good and put them back. I would clean the bearings with kerosene or something to get any bad stuff out. Things only get difficult if you lose one of the shims or change out the gearset. I changed my 3.90 (10/39) to a 3.55 (11/39) and that was a real pain and took a lot of time to get the pinion depth correct.

Kim

OP
H

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I took the center section to a guy that started working in 1964 at the MG Dealer in Richmond VA. In about 30 minutes the job was competed and even more important I made a friend with a vast amount of knowledge.

He also said I would not do any damage using brake cleaner to flush the center section out. He suggested WD40 to protect it until I am ready to reinstall the pumpkin.