• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A few shots from the 100 engine rebuild

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Received some shots from the engine rebuild. Very pleased that the head and the block came back with a clean bill of health from the machine shop. All painted on Friday so likely heading into the car next week.

IMG_9696.jpgIMG_9699.jpgIMG_9702.jpgIMG_9709.jpgIMG_9713.jpgIMG_9714.jpg

OP
simon1966

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Bob, I can't really comment other than to say that it is at a place that I trust implicitly. They have done hundreds of Healeys so confident that they know what they are doing.

Country flag
That's a near miracle. More than being pleased, you might want to consider sacrificing some livestock or organizing a parade with fireworks display.

Congrats.
Indeed! Forty (<40) years ago, it was tough to find a 100 head that wasn't cracked. I expect that A.) was a motivating factor to why so many 100s wound up with 283 & 327 V8s, and B.) why I never subscribed to own one (don't get me wrong, as a 2-seater, I'm a fan, but I'd rather it have an oval grille...).

DTDuck

Country flag
Indeed! Forty (<40) years ago, it was tough to find a 100 head that wasn't cracked. I expect that A.) was a motivating factor to why so many 100s wound up with 283 & 327 V8s, and B.) why I never subscribed to own one (don't get me wrong, as a 2-seater, I'm a fan, but I'd rather it have an oval grille...).

Sacrilege...

Country flag
Sacrilege...

Randy just means he wants a 100S.

Randy is just trying to align with Donald.
Bob is the most right, but Simon, you are not wrong.

Back in the late 70s while I was working at Austin-Healey West, a buxomy mid-40s female customer had a 100 delivered to us that she found in an Arid-Zona desert. The car was complete, weather worn and nearly 100% intact, but it needed everything; the sheetmetal was almost 100% free of corrosion__and paint on flat horizontal surfaces__with just some rust-out in the triangles behind the doglegs, though it did have its share of mostly shallow storage dents.

The cylinder head was in the trunk...

We assessed the car's overall condition to make it road-worthy, as it wasn't going to be a total restoration (she apparently appreciated "patina" long before the rest of us in car collecting circles!) and the head was sent out to see if the crack between the #2 & #3 exhaust valves could be repaired. The project wouldn't start until a replacement was found, and the stack of rejected cylinder heads kept growing.

I left Ray's shop sometime in 1980 and went back to industrial electrical work before a repairable head was found, so I don't know the rest of the story, but I suppose that's why I never wanted to buy a 100. Nowadays, if you were lucky enough to come across a find like that, you could buy a brand new aluminum head for it (probably 8-times what that whole desert 100 cost, but at least they're available); the spares and replacement parts scene was a lot different back then :(

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Back in the late 70s while I was working at Austin-Healey West, a buxomy mid-40s female customer had a 100 delivered to us that she found in an Arid-Zona desert. The car was complete, weather worn and nearly 100% intact, but it needed everything; the sheetmetal was almost 100% free of corrosion__and paint on flat horizontal surfaces__with just some rust-out in the triangles behind the doglegs, though it did have its share of mostly shallow storage dents.

The cylinder head was in the trunk...

We assessed the car's overall condition to make it road-worthy, as it wasn't going to be a total restoration (she apparently appreciated "patina" long before the rest of us in car collecting circles!) and the head was sent out to see if the crack between the #2 & #3 exhaust valves could be repaired. The project wouldn't start until a replacement was found, and the stack of rejected cylinder heads kept growing.

I left Ray's shop sometime in 1980 and went back to industrial electrical work before a repairable head was found, so I don't know the rest of the story, but I suppose that's why I never wanted to buy a 100. Nowadays, if you were lucky enough to come across a find like that, you could buy a brand new aluminum head for it (probably 8-times what that whole desert 100 cost, but at least they're available); the spares and replacement parts scene was a lot different back then :(

Randy, I'm thinking you must have left A-H West sometime in 1979. I started there in October 1979 part-time and then full-time from early 1980 until mid-summer.
Was the 100 in question a very faded red, nearly pink? If so I eventually had the "pleasure" to install a head on it. First problem was mutilated head studs. Tapped into one of my secret (aka a guy Ray didn't know of) parts resources for those and the dealer for the nuts. Before installing valve train or manifolds, I decided to fill the cooling system to pressure test. I didn't need to pressure test.....water came rolling out of the #4 exhaust port. Apparently the head had been magged but not PC'd. Was still in the same spot when I left.

Country flag
Randy, I'm thinking you must have left A-H West sometime in 1979. I started there in October 1979 part-time and then full-time from early 1980 until mid-summer.
Was the 100 in question a very faded red, nearly pink? If so I eventually had the "pleasure" to install a head on it. First problem was mutilated head studs. Tapped into one of my secret (aka a guy Ray didn't know of) parts resources for those and the dealer for the nuts. Before installing valve train or manifolds, I decided to fill the cooling system to pressure test. I didn't need to pressure test.....water came rolling out of the #4 exhaust port. Apparently the head had been magged but not PC'd. Was still in the same spot when I left.
You didn't by any chance wear coveralls with a Packard Crest on the the chest pocket, did you? The shop fronting on Folsom used to be a teaching school before Ray leased it, though he still kept the old place in the alley too (Shipley St, which come to think about it, he had two places living in another bldg on Shipley__everything all on the same block).

In my mind__okay, it was San Francisco, and the 70s__the 100 was a very faded brown, but we probably never cleaned all the sand off it! But otherwise, I've got to think it was the same car; what are the odds?!?!

I guess it could've been later in '79; I went to work for En-Serv & Aspen Const, both in Concord, and I'm sure I worked for both of them__alternating, depending on who out-bid who__for about a year before moving to New Orleans in December '80.

Not sure of the timeframe, but my older brother John worked for Ray for a while too, but that was probably after your time there

BN6L/942 around the the time I bought it (4/78) in front of the Shipley shop.

11035971_10153247867083291_6408442346220461499_n.jpg

11039197_10153247867023291_6248097389301947969_n.jpg

We'll have to talk more, but I'm really impressed by the chance occurrence :cheers:

catfood

Jedi Knight
Hey Randy, whats the story of your car. Left hand drive on british plates with a GB sticker?

Country flag
The Denis Welch aluminium head's have been certified by the FIA for use in their sanctioned race series. This was due to the unavailability of the originals.
Good that they were flexible on the matter, everyone benefits from more entrants :smile:

Hey Randy, whats the story of your car. Left hand drive on british plates with a GB sticker?
Ray liked to put gee-dunk on cars; the plates held some sentimental value to him, because he said I couldn't have them, but he'd get me another set (during a trip to England and France, he had a very authentic set of plates made for me with the characters BN6 942__the car's VIN).

The GB plate__it was riveted on__according to Ray, was put there to hide a dent (!) as was the luggage rack. Both those items were added after I agreed to purchase the car, then at that point I was scrambling to get the car out of there before he put anything else on it!

[/threadjack]

Back to you, Simon ;)