Thread: SU H6 rebuild

Chats

SU H6 rebuild

I sent my carbs off to Joe Curto thinking that he was going to rebuild them, signals got crossed and all he did was re-shaft them and install new butterfly valves. All needed doing of course. Awhile back I was trying to get the car running and found that I was having fuel problems. Checked and found that the carbs were in major need of rebuilding. They got put on hold but it is now time to do the job. I have all the manuals and the kits but am running into a problem or two. NEED some guidance.

The jet consists of some 14 parts of various material and configuration. I have a very good exploded drawing of the jet so I pretty much know the basic order of the jet parts, however, my question has to do with the final assembly. there are springs and threaded parts that seem to allow some variation to the final jet assembly. I think that I can deal with it if I knew how long the whole jet assembly should be when all 14 parts are correctly assembled.

I hope all of this makes sense to someone out there and you will be able to give me some info on how long the finished jet assembly should be.
    I do tend to over engineer stuff and suspect I'm guilty of that in this case.

Anyhow any and all suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Tinkerman
    Dick LeClair
    Mid Tennessee
    1960 TR 3A

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORENDUM"

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Re: SU H6 rebuild

Hello Dick

This site may help you.

David

https://thosbryant.wordpress.com/201...r-rebuild-h-6/

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Dick,
    The total length of the assembled jet will vary depending upon how tight the bottom nut is screwed up the shaft. One additional item is to soak the cork seals in oil prior assembly . Otherwise they may not seal.
    Charley

Jedi Knight
    Chats

Do you remember how much he charged to do the bushings and shaft?

I need minds done.

David

Chats

WOW David the info is GREAT! Thanks a bunch. Pictures are always the best way to figure out what is going on!

I don't remember what it cost me but if you give Joe a call he will give you a firm quote over the phone. He is one of the good guys!

Cheers, Dick
    Dick LeClair
    Mid Tennessee
    1960 TR 3A

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORENDUM"

Chats

Here's a link to Joe's site. He has a price list there including just throttle shaft replacement.

http://joecurto.com/
    Art
    '58 TR3A TS236xxL
    '92 Mazda Miata -- Supercharged
    '07 Mazda RX-8
    '11 Mazda CX-7

Jedi Trainee
    Chats

Check out http://www.sucarbs.com. Did my HS6 quickly and reasonably. Took some spare carb parts in trade. Only problem was one bent metering needle which he express mailed a replacement with no argument. Curto is excellent! and is local to me but his price was a bit higher.
    Glad to recommend either one

Plus one for Tom Bryant's blog. I just finished redoing my SUs and fixing all the stuff I did wrong the first time. Car is running better than it has in 20 years. Tom also sells Teflon jet seals to replace the cork ones. They work great.