• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DJI Mavic Pro

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Did it... sprung for the expensive stuff (after my previous use of "toys"). Next Father's Day, birthday, Christmas gifts (X2), but I'm loving it. You have TOTAL control over it. Let go of the controls and it immediately stops and hovers. Push a special button and it returns to home (since it uses 10-15 GPS satellites)... and does so within inches of its take-off location (thanks to the fact that it also photographs the ground as it lifts off). It also has sensors that prevent it from flying into something (and it rears up within 15 meters of an obstacle). The 4k video camera is fully gimbaled, and it takes high resolution stills. Nearly everything on it is fully adjustable (including umpteen camera settings). Flights up to 4 miles away and for over 20 minutes. If the battery gets too low on a long flight it knows when it must return and turns around! It also knows where it is relative to FAA flight-restricted areas. Amazing!!!
Much to learn.

Last edited:

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ah yes technology and cash it's like hamburger and fries
they seem to always go together

Now buy a head set for a four mile trek
oh and pass me the ketchup....:encouragement:

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nope... no head-set for me (as those suckers are expensive - and too nerdy for me). I'll stick with the phone.
I don't normally buy the latest and best of anything... but the force was strong in this one. :wink-new: Best retirement toy so far (beyond the 5 speed tranny for the Bugeye).

Dji_0073.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, the remote controller clamps onto your phone (Android or Apple) so you can view what it sees in real time! You can also fly it from your phone only, but then the range is shorter (due to wifi limitations). Otherwise, using the remote/phone combination, it CAN fly very high... HOWEVER, FAA rules say you're supposed to only go 400 feet off the ground. That written, I've seen videos of people that had one up several thousand feet.
It's also very fast, or can be. There is a "Sport Mode" where it will fly 40mph (and people race these things).

Frankly, I'm still not used to flying it by looking at what it sees... and I tend to just watch it (and one is supposed to always have it in site). I guess I'm worried that I might back into something (and that's possible because the sensors aim out front and below it). I did have a few birds buzz it.

Another amazing feature is that this one folds up to be VERY small into a small carrying case. We're talking about 8" by 3" by 2" (when folded up)! Takes about 3 minutes to unpack and fly (and a good deal of that time is spent doing an automatic lock onto satellites). It's amazingly smart.

You can set it to lock onto your image and then go walking as it follows you - the ultimate selfie I suppose.

Maybe the best part is that it's so stable. I always crashed my previous ones (toys really).

I have to set the yaw so it isn't so abrupt (or learn to gimbal more). In this one you can see the drone's reflection in the windows better. Had to fight it a little because it doesn't want to get this close to the house (and the remote was vibrating and beeping at me because of that).

Last edited:
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Here are the essentials (without case, charger, spare bits, etc.). The remote has clamps the receive a phone (though you can get attachments to use an iPad or a laptop). I've covered it with labels (name, address, phone number, FAA #, "reward if found", etc.).
2017-06-10 Mavic Pro drone with remote.jpg

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Two more pics of the thing. The first with its biggest payload out - the battery. The second of the remote controller folded up.
2017-06-11 18.52.26.jpg
2017-06-11 18.52.16.jpg

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Are they making drones that look like chitty chitty bang bang & Harry Potters Anglia yet?

(a pig would be a good drone too)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Guy said:
a pig would be a good drone too

Might posit this to Mitsy... but then I'd have to cough up for the drone.

...nevermind.

catfood

Jedi Knight
Is 'out of site' flying legal in the US. It isn't over here I don't believe. The drone has to be in line of site at all times.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Is 'out of site' flying legal in the US. It isn't over here I don't believe. The drone has to be in line of site at all times.

Same here. I have a friend in Harrogate that has had the Mavic for about 2 months and he's flown all over Yorkshire... BUT maintains line-of-sight. It really does make sense, and I'd be spooked to fly by only looking at the phone screen.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Looks like a lot of fun.

It really is... and it's really just an aerial form of photography (with 4K video and hi-res stills that come in at about 12mb). The possibilities for interesting new shots is endless. :smile: Other than the deck stripping I'm doing :wink-new: , this drone is my idea of retirement.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Now about that blonde sunbathing in the next block...but you wouldn't do that, would you? Drones have been shot down for less.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One must be sensitive to all that... peeping stuff... so I've never flown really close to any house (and so far I've notified neighbors I'm flying).

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The thing seems to be incredibly stable in flight.
how does it do in x-winds & turbulence?

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
The thing seems to be incredibly stable in flight.
how does it do in x-winds & turbulence?

That stability is all due to computer processing on-board. You can let go of the controls and it just stops and hovers very still.
As for wind, supposedly it can handle 20mph. I've had it in winds approaching that and you could tell it was struggling, but it was stable.
Again, it always knows if it is level and can make adjustments if pushed up, down or sideways.

Here's a link to a DJI video that demonstrates it all: https://www.dji.com/mavic

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mark - something I've always wondered about. If a gust of wind causes it to damage neighbor's property, what's the insurance situation?

Tom M.