Thread: oil gauge

Obi Wan
    Chats

oil gauge

I am working on my oil gauge and the needle was rusty. I tried to sand the rust off with some 400 paper and did ok, but the back has rust also. What I want to is remove the needle, so I have more control and just soak it in lacquer thinner and then sand and paint it. So does the needle just pull straight off? It must? But I do not want to trash the coil spring.
    Steve

Chats

Re: oil gauge

Interesting...all the gage work I've done, I don't have any recollection of ever removing one of those needles. I think I put something under mine to support it while I sanded.
    John

1955 TR2

Obi Wan
    Chats

That is what I have been doing John and it is probably the best plan. Years ago I sent a temp gauge out for repair because the gas tube was broke. The gauge itself was beautifully clean and I get sent back this gauge with a cloudy looking needle that started to rust bad, so I guess what I am saying is they never removed it either and just painted over it, time to practice my patients and sand slowly.
    steve

Chats

I've studied all my pics...Like you I would assume the needle could be gently twisted off, so long as you hold the rear arm to protect the clock spring. I may have even tried it, but it's been 3 years since I had my big gauge cleanup, so a lot of the details are fuzzy.
    John

1955 TR2

Chats

You may have already figured it out.
    It's a push fit, very easy to remove.
    See attached.
    Remove the works from the case.chuck it up with your vice.
    Get a firm grip in the shaft with needle-nosed pliers
    The shaft needs to remain steady.
    While holding the shaft, pinch and twist the needle with your thumb and forefinger
    Off it comes
    That's the good news.
    The bad news is you have to get it back on at the exactly the same spot
    in order to have the gauge be correctly calibrated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obi Wan
    Chats

Now I have a headache or fear ache or playing it too save ----either way ====it is all Franks fault because I know that will work if I am any good, but it still could be rusted on the bottom. Pinch for a reason or just to grab Frank?
    steve

Chats

Good to know!

I had a scare with my temp gage...which is really an identical gage internally to the oil pressure gage. I let the new engine get too hot, so it boiled over...the gage went from full scale hot to pegged on the lower stop. Randall warned us about overheating the gage!

I was bummed thinking I would have to pull all that capillary back out to fix the gage and then re-install it again. I had a thought, and was able to pull the gage out of the dash enough to take it all apart. I found the gage got so hot the little wire popped off the needle arm. That was easy to fix, but now I had to re-calibrate it. I boiled water in the kitchen, and ran the pot quickly out to the car to dip the temp sending bulb into it. I would set the gage to 212 degrees, and then remove the bulb from the pot, cool it off and set the 90 degree stop. After about 3 times running from kitchen to car I got it recalibrated. Put it all back together, never having to unthread the capillary.

Lesson learned...never over temp or over pressure these mechanical gages!!
    John

1955 TR2

Obi Wan
    Chats

Thanks Frank I could not find the nerve to just go for it, but with your experience I went for it and the needle came right off. I put a mark where it was and if I need more oil pressure I will move the need down some.

I learn a lot working on the speedos also and the little marks they have to set the needle back on in place--- then pull it back to the stop pin for calibration, got to love these cars there is so much that can be done.
    Peace out steve