• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Front suspension

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Still trying to obtain a nice comfortable ride at the front.
What rating springs and length are members using....with or without spacers?

Last edited:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The TR4 has what might be described as a harsh ride, at least by today's standards. Although uprated front sprigs may very well affect the handling, I doubt they will greatly improve the ride. My TR3 still has it's original springs, so I'm not the one to give advice on the uprated or the competition springs but I would say that renewing the suspension, shocks and steering, with new well balanced tires, if you haven't already done that, will have a greater positive effect on the ride. Everything else done, new springs might be a final step. Hopefully someone experienced will make a recommendation for springs.
Tom

OP
M

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks Tom...The standard 320lb by 11"springs [without spacers] gave me too harsh a ride and the ride height was too high for my taste.
All components are new.
I want to down rate the springs....just interested in the details of what someone may have done to achieve a softer ride.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Malcolm, did you fit the anti roll bar you mentioned in earlier posts? If so, that will give you a higher wheel rate on a single wheel bump causing a harsher ride. The Racetech guys in Batemans Bay use 250lb springs with their anti roll bar. As I have posted before, I find the ride quite acceptable with the 390lb front springs but no ARB.

A couple of other things can affect the ride. What wheels and tyres are you running? I had a small but noticeable increase in harshness when I went to 195/65s from 185/80s on my 6" rims. The other thing is tyre pressure. Triumph specified pressures which seem low by today's standards but maybe they wanted a better ride. I run 24 lb in the front and 26-28 in the rear. What shocks did you go with? They may need to settle in.

Your ride height is a seperate issue. Are you sure they are front springs? I bought some new rear springs from GTM in Queensland when I rebuilt the car. I recall they were 11". They were comfortable but had the back of the car way up in the air. I replaced them with Goodparts 470lb and the car sits level now. I vaguely remember that the general consensus is that it should measure about 26-27" from the ground to the midpoint of the wheel well front and back. How high is yours?