• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Grease and Grease Gun recommendations

CI_TR3

Country flag
What type of grease should I be using to grease my TR3? Specifically, I just replaced all the handbrake cables and need to lube the main cable and rear pivot. What about the rest of the grease points? Also, any recommendations on a good grease gun that is easy to load and does t leak? Thinking about a pneumatic one. Thanks for the help.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use a pneumatic from Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-grease-gun-219.html

Worked well once I realized I had to dial the air pressure way down.

Easy to load? - about the same as any. Does it leak? - yeah, about the same as most.

Get these too:

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-mil-nitrile-powder-free-gloves-100-pc-x-large-61359.html

I think I bought their grease while I was there:

https://www.harborfreight.com/sta-lube-moly-graph-lithium-grease-40712.html

Any grease you get will be vastly superior to what was available 50 years ago.

Don't forget the Zerk on the propshaft sliding section.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have been using any grease labeled NGLI#2. That is what is recommended on a couple trucks I have, so I use it for everything, rather than switching around.

I have noticed that the quality of the guns has been steadily decreasing. I have a 20 year old gun that I tolerate, a 10 year old gun that sucks, and a 6 month old gun I cuss at constantly. They all leak, but the frustrating part is the quality of the end fitting. The recent ones don't capture the zerk well, and sometimes capture it so well I have broken the end off the zerk trying to get them off.

Maybe I should try the 60 year old Enots #1D the car came with. I might really love it based on my analysis of decaying quality?!?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Well, this is timely! Though I no longer live in Triumphland, my grease guns suck (well, they do push the grease the proper direction...). I have one mini-gun and two regulars. They all leak, I have the same problems with the fittings as above, the fittings are too large to access the u-joint zerks, and one of the zerks on the B GT's pivot point on the spring pan can't be reached without a flex hose for the guns (which I currently don't have). So I'm in the market for another one, and will most likely pitch at least one of the three that I have.

I'll be watching this thread to see more responses.

Thanks for posting!

:cheers:
Mickey

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I've got an old lever gun that lives in a mud bucket to contain the leaks, no idea of the brand. I don't use it much either. I did grease the new and rebuilt parking brake stuff last year but won't do it again for several years of summer only use. Same with the front end, u-joints, water pump etc. Grease them once sparingly and don't over do it and blow the seals. Blown out seals from over greasing can cause component failure; no seal no grease. Actually many components, u-joints for example, are packed with grease on assembly and don't need the gun at all, even if they have grease fittings. Finally, modern synthetic greases are much better than the period grease. If the seals are intact, the grease stays for a very long time. My opinion only of course based on not much but as they say, has worked for me.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...the frustrating part is the quality of the end fitting. The recent ones don't capture the zerk well, and sometimes capture it so well I have broken the end off the zerk trying to get them off...

I have the same problems. You can loosen the tip a bit to free up the ones that won't let go but who wants to do that each time?

I recently obtained this, but haven't tried it yet:

LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler

319%2BXTCWNpL._SX425_.jpg

31Gd3m0PTGL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H7LPKKU/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pricey but if it works it may be worth it.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I recently obtained this, but haven't tried it yet:

Think you'll be pleased Geo...I certainly am. It eliminates one of the two biggest hassles of greasing. Now if only there was a gun that didn't leak...

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Can you get to all the zerks with the locknlube?
looks kind of bulky.
On the TR4a and GT6 I can, but on my '55 F100's leaf spring shackle there's a problem. The inventor and company owner suggests using the grease gun's old tip (with a zerk threaded into it). Putting it onto the zerk and then putting the LocknLube onto it. Works perfectly.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That's the larger, older end fitting. They worked much better and easier than those new fangled skinny fittings they are ramming down our throats. In high school I never had trouble greasing a car. The grease gun and fitting just worked. Now I seem to be constantly fighting the fittings, tightening and loosening the adjustment for almost every zerk I come to. Half of them never connect solid enough to get the grease in, and the other half the fitting gets stuck and I spend half a minute or so trying to disengage it. One word for our woes:

CHINA!!