Thread: Frame Pics, some bad news

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frame Pics, some bad news

I have posted all of this in a thread on another forum but thought I would also post it here just in case anyone has any other useful input.
    So if you have already seen this and commented, thank you for the input.

I finally got the body removed from the frame. The frame looked good up until I got around to the left (drivers side) front frame rail. It wasn't rust as I had expected but frame damage. The car has apparently been in an accident where the left front was pushed toward the right.
    All of the body bolts line up but I have no idea if the frame was straightened by a professional on a frame table or if it was pulled back into place so that it was "good enough".

20170530_125044_zpsesxoi9hj

20170530_125112_zpsuq36lwru

20170530_145313_zpsgdfabthz

20170530_151842_zpssh6dsdkx

Some of you will notice the rather poor repair on the upper differential mount. That was not me and it will be addressed during the frame rehab.

20170530_125004_zpsjyomc8xu by Firebird2, on Flickr

So here is the plan of attack.
    I have sourced an old frame that is bent in the rear section. The section I need is good.
    I plan to cut out the entire drivers side frame rail and replace it with a good one.
    I will do my best with the Bentley frame measurements to get it as straight as possible. After which I will take it to a friend with a frame table. He will put it on the table and check it out. If it needs some tweaking he will do it to factory specs and it will be good to go.
    It wasn't a repair I planned on making but it is what it is. Original frames in good condition are increasingly hard to find (and increasingly expensive) and the aftermarket options are way out of the budget.
    Last edited by crash21; 04-03-2018 at 12:54 PM.
    1972 Triumph TR6

20151129_160939

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Frame Pics, some bad news

Just a thought that you might want to run by your friend with the frame table: Perhaps the frame should go there first and, if necessary, any straightening be done. THEN, if you, he, or others feel it's necessary, you might consider the graft you are proposing, followed by another quick check on the frame table.
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree with Andrew. Make sure there wasn't any "carry-through" damage first so that you start with a accurate frame. Then the graft is, pretty much, just a cosmetic repair.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I agree with Andy. Easier too if you can set it up on the table for welding in the splice, if that is necessary. Tom
    1960 TR3A TS73117 (under restoration year 6, owned since 1964)
    1959 TR3A TS58023 (in case I never finish the one above)
    1969 Triumph Herald 13/60 (a whim)
    1973 Buick Apollo (was Dad's car)
    1992 BMW325IC (fun to drive)

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did this work out? I have the same thing needed, passenger side, any " if I did that again" thoughts, you wouldn't have the passenger side frame rail hanging around?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

can't see any of the pics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fixed the pics. I lost pics on a lot of different threads from Photobucket.
    1972 Triumph TR6

20151129_160939

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBC View Post
    Did this work out? I have the same thing needed, passenger side, any " if I did that again" thoughts, you wouldn't have the passenger side frame rail hanging around?
    ive got a TR6 frame with the same damage as the OPs that you are welcome to, but it would be a long haul to west central Alabama!
    Rut
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe JeffBC asked this question on another forum and I replied but I will reply here also just in case someone is keeping up with this thread.

At this point the frame work has not been done. I have been making my plans and preparing to make the cuts but to be honest life gets in the way.
    Maybe I have been procrastinating but I have been sandblasting and powder coating a lot of the front suspension parts. Yes of course if the frame isn't fixed I won't have anything to bolt the suspension to.
    I'll get to it I promise and i will keep my journal on the other site up on the progress.
    1972 Triumph TR6

20151129_160939