• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

air compressor?

wangdango

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My old Sears 1 hp compressor has finally died, (at least 30 yrs old). I would like to buy a replacement and wondered who has purchased what. I do not need a big HP or volume compressor and the 1 hp has worked for me. I realize some are very expensive and some are cheap, and you "get what you pay for." That being said, I would not be against a Craigslist purchase of a used one like I had. Opinions everyone?
THanks
Ed

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In what way did your old one die? If the tank is still sound, it might be worth repairing rather than replacing. If the motor hums and then kicks out the breaker or thermal cutout, the repair might be as simple as cleaning the start switch contacts inside the motor or replacing the starting capacitor.

Sears offers compressors from several different sources (or at least used to). Mine just says "Craftsman", but I'm fairly certain was actually made by Ingersoll-Rand. I bought it well used (already over 20 years old) and it's still going strong after another 15 years or so. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one like it (tho again, I'd be more likely to repair the one I have as long as the tank is sound).

dklawson

Yoda
As Randall said, since you were happy with your old compressor you may want to dig into it and see what failed.

I have an older Craftsman, 2-cylinder, 2-HP, portable, horizontal tank unit. I've had it 28 years and I bought it used. It has required service twice during the time I owned it. In both cases the reed valves in the head assembly failed. Nothing lasts forever. The parts are still available so each time I have cleaned up the heads, fit new valves, and kept using the same compressor.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think there are at least 4 variables: 1. Physical size, they do take up space, 2. Capacity, how much air (CFM) do you need, 3. Noise level and 4. Portability.
Perhaps you can narrow your choices a bit.
Tom

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I purchased one from Harbor Freight a while back and returned it because it was so noisy when running. had to pay a restockng fee but I just couldn't stand the noise. I bought a used Sears unit on craigslist that was a piston unit and am quite happy with it.

dklawson

Yoda
Any diaphragm type compressor is going to be loud... HF or not. If you can find them, two cylinder cast iron piston pumps are generally quieter and longer lasting. Used (like your Sears unit and mine) can be really good buys depending on how much use they have seen.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Even the piston units get annoying to me; so I put the compressor out in the back yard and ran a pipe to the garage. As an added bonus, the long run of 3/4 iron pipe also helps dry the air considerably.

Original plan was to have a (wired) remote control from the garage that would both apply power to the compressor and open the ball valve. I got as far as installing the contactor to control the compressor, but still haven't run the control circuit.

Just a thought.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Even the piston units get annoying to me; so I put the compressor out in the back yard and ran a pipe to the garage. As an added bonus, the long run of 3/4 iron pipe also helps dry the air considerably.

Original plan was to have a (wired) remote control from the garage that would both apply power to the compressor and open the ball valve. I got as far as installing the contactor to control the compressor, but still haven't run the control circuit.

Just a thought.

Outside is great idea but here in the Northeast I need to build a shed. Plan to do that. Tom

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I found a Saylor Beall 735 on CL and love it. 80-gal, 3-hp, 220v. It's a bohemoth. All parts are available.