• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Snake ID

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
This guy was just found behind my garage. I think it's the same one I saw in the nearby woodpile a couple of weeks ago. Opinions? Copperhead or Corn Snake?

snake1.jpg

snake2.jpg

Looked to be about 2.5-3 ft. long.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks more like a corn snake to me, but I'm certainly no expert.
But as my Grampa would say, leave him alone, and he'll leave you alone.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Almost looks like a Gopher snake, but I doubt you have those in your area. Wish there head shot was clearer. Most of the Copperhead pics I've seen show the marking seem to go all the way around the snake - this one has markings that are medium rectangular markings across the top similar to corn snake or gopher snake.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
I think it's a corn snake, too.
head shape doesn't look like a copperhead, though the markings could fool you.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was thinking corn snake, but I'm certainly a neophyte when it comes to identifying wildlife. Learning, though.

As an aside, it's illegal to kill snakes in Tennessee. When push comes to shove, I'll go to jail!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was thinking corn snake, but I'm certainly a neophyte when it comes to identifying wildlife. Learning, though.

As an aside, it's illegal to kill snakes in Tennessee. When push comes to shove, I'll go to jail!

We have lots of snakes around here. The Bull Snakes and Gopher Snakes I leave alone but when I see a Rattlesnake on my property it gets its head chopped off!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have to relocate good snakes that I see around our house as my Wife is of the "Only good snake is a dead snake" school.

David

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mickey,

You might try picking it up,& getting a really good,
clear picture of the head,close up.

......or maybe not.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
1218B6E8-8A5E-428D-816A-9FF49390B06F-8096-00000D00D3EC9BEA.jpg

The copperhead hour glass pattern is pretty distinctive.
your snakes pattern is different.

dklawson

Yoda
What you have there is a Corn Snake. There are a couple of things to look for/at.

The Corn Snake will have squarish block patterns running down its spine. The Copperhead will have interlocking diamond-like patterns running down its spine and sides. A feature that is quite different between the two are their heads. The Corn Snake will have a narrow long head while the Copperhead will have a wider, shorter shovel shaped head similar to other poisonous snakes (and some non-poisonous water snakes). If you get really close you will notice that the Copperhead will have "pits" slightly below the midpoint of a line drawn between the snake's eyes and nostrils.

The picture linked below shows a Corn Snake with two young Copperheads. When the snakes are next to each other the differences are more apparent.

https://wading-in.net/walkabout/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TellingThemApart.jpg
TellingThemApart.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
What you have there is a Corn Snake. There are a couple of things to look for/at.

The Corn Snake will have squarish block patterns running down its spine. The Copperhead will have interlocking diamond-like patterns running down its spine and sides. A feature that is quite different between the two are their heads. The Corn Snake will have a narrow long head while the Copperhead will have a wider, shorter shovel shaped head similar to other poisonous snakes (and some non-poisonous water snakes). If you get really close you will notice that the Copperhead will have "pits" slightly below the midpoint of a line drawn between the snake's eyes and nostrils.

The picture linked below shows a Corn Snake with two young Copperheads. When the snakes are next to each other the differences are more apparent.

https://wading-in.net/walkabout/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/TellingThemApart.jpg
View attachment 48812

If you get that close you need your head examined LOL!

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You guys ...
i was working in Baton Rouge area opened an electrical panel and came face to face with a timber rattler
the guys that ran the plant proceeded to argue then pester the thing to see if it was indeed a timber rattler.
had a big fat head enough said.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
You guys ...
i was working in Baton Rouge area opened an electrical panel and came face to face with a timber rattler
the guys that ran the plant proceeded to argue then pester the thing to see if it was indeed a timber rattler.
had a big fat head enough said.

"A dog is just a dog unless he is facing you. Then he is Mr. Dog. ..."
anonymous Haitian proverb.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, all. As I said, I think this is the same little (!) guy I spotted in a woodpile a week or so ago. Our areas is allegedly ripe for copperheads, and our grandkids will soon be old enough to do some exploring, so I'm naturally concerned. I was fairly certain it was a corn snake, but still on a bit of a learning curve. I knew about the head shape and this one didn't quite fit. But was unaware of the shape of the markings.

By the way, in real life, this guy's colors were quite striking. Actually, kinda pretty. (No, not into snake-handling. :nonod: )

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think the golden rule for snakes is "let 'em be".

And teach the grandkids that snakes can be hard to see when out in the woods. eek

Agkistrodon_contortrix_contortrix_CDC-a.png

copperhead

dklawson

Yoda
My oldest nephew used to have Corn Snakes as pets. They are OK as far as reptiles go but I personally have no desire to have a cold, and impersonal scaly pet.

For snakes in our area, I generally give them the space they need and leave them alone. I'm not disturbed by snakes but I don't like surprises either. I have been known to relocate non-poisonous snakes so my panicked neighbor doesn't cut them apart with a hoe. The snakes do control vermin so I don't consider them a pest.

The unfortunate thing for Corn Snakes is that they are easily mistaken for Copperheads. It would be very hard to tell young grandchildren how to distinguish one from the other. Another unfortunate thing is that Copperheads often lurk in dimly lit areas covered with bushes or pine straw where their camouflage conceals them. Rather than withdrawing and revealing themselves, Copperheads will stay still until you (the unaware victim) startle them into biting. I've had three friends bitten by Copperheads while they were doing routine yard maintenance. Those things are just too secretive for their own good!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My oldest nephew used to have Corn Snakes as pets. They are OK as far as reptiles go but I personally have no desire to have a cold, and impersonal scaly pet.

For snakes in our area, I generally give them the space they need and leave them alone. I'm not disturbed by snakes but I don't like surprises either. I have been known to relocate non-poisonous snakes so my panicked neighbor doesn't cut them apart with a hoe. The snakes do control vermin so I don't consider them a pest.

The unfortunate thing for Corn Snakes is that they are easily mistaken for Copperheads. It would be very hard to tell young grandchildren how to distinguish one from the other. Another unfortunate thing is that Copperheads often lurk in dimly lit areas covered with bushes or pine straw where their camouflage conceals them. Rather than withdrawing and revealing themselves, Copperheads will stay still until you (the unaware victim) startle them into biting. I've had three friends bitten by Copperheads while they were doing routine yard maintenance. Those things are just too secretive for their own good!

The fact they control vermin is a primary reason when I see Bull snakes or Gopher snakes on my property I leave them alone!

dklawson

Yoda
The fact they control vermin is a primary reason when I see Bull snakes or Gopher snakes on my property I leave them alone!

Should your travels ever take you to NC and you visit my home, please don't take offense if in my house you see the occasional small spider. I feel the same way about spiders as I do snakes, they control pests. In the case of spiders, my attitude is, if they are small and not growing, I don't have anything to worry about... they will move on. If they stay in one place and grow, I have bigger problems to deal with than spiders... the spiders are eating something.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Should your travels ever take you to NC and you visit my home, please don't take offense if in my house you see the occasional small spider. I feel the same way about spiders as I do snakes, they control pests. In the case of spiders, my attitude is, if they are small and not growing, I don't have anything to worry about... they will move on. If they stay in one place and grow, I have bigger problems to deal with than spiders... the spiders are eating something.

EXCEPT for brown recluse spiders! Those guys serve no purpose other than to cause serious injury. At our house in Clarksville, I was awakened one night by a sensation on my forehead. Brushed my hand across, and turned on the light. There on the bed was a brown recluse. Luckily, was not bitten. Turns out our house was rife with them!

dklawson

Yoda
I have a sister-in-law who was bitten by a Brown Recluse. The tissue around the bite died and she experienced a very long recovery for the wound to heal.

Though I have looked at pictures of Brown Recluse spiders I doubt I would ever be able to identify one when/if pressed to do so. I'd probably confuse it with some benign species and end up getting bitten.