• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Not the "best car ever made" by a long shot

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
But my Dad's favorite vehicle of all time.
'68 International Scout. It was our farm truck.
(my daughter snapped this pic yesterday in Austin & sent it to me)

if I remember correctly you had to get out & rotate the front hubs to put it in 4 wheel drive.

IMG_1068.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would love an International Travelall - 3rd generation 61-68. And likely the pickup too. It is my fantasy restomod.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
But my Dad's favorite vehicle of all time.
'68 International Scout. It was our farm truck.
(my daughter snapped this pic yesterday in Austin & sent it to me)

if I remember correctly you had to get out & rotate the front hubs to put it in 4 wheel drive.

View attachment 48762

Now days you just push a button!

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Picture is a bit fuzzy, but it looks to have Montana plates. Having owned a mid 60's Scout, I can't imagine driving one from here to Texas. I'll bet it got there behind a motorhome.

OP
GTP1960

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Picture is a bit fuzzy, but it looks to have Montana plates. Having owned a mid 60's Scout, I can't imagine driving one from here to Texas. I'll bet it got there behind a motorhome.

I asked my daughter to check the tag.
she drives past it daily.

we use to take Dad's to Colorado on hunting trips....pretty rough ride, removable hard top rattled, heater was as effective as a TR3's & the bench seats left a lot to be desired: But she never quit!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Could be registered in Montana to avoid taxes.etc.
It seems to be a common practice for many wealthy exotic car
owner,who could easily afford to register their cars in their own state.
Of course......if you get caught,it's a hefty fine.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Most serious off-roaders still prefer manual hubs -- there's a lot less that can go wrong

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Manual hubs are much better than those auto ones. I've owned several Binders and overall they are some of the best vehicles ever built. They are incredibly rugged and durable, and they will pull pretty much anything you tie them to. The Scouts were great little SUVs more comfortable than a Willy's Jeep and more usable than a Bronco, they were pretty much the best of both worlds. When IH originally marketed them they even sold them with PTOs and a wide range of attachments.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I guess I'm not a serious off-roader but I use 4wd every day during winter & early spring. (The road down to our house is 4wd-only at those times.) So, I face snow (no problem), ice (big problem downhill), and mud (the worst) just about daily. My '88 Toyota pickup had manual hubs which were no fun to deal with. My "new" Toyota (2005) has auto hubs. I've never had a problem with them regardless of temperature etc and would not buy a vehicle without them. Maybe desert off-roading is different.

But I'd sure love to be able to turn off the ABS on those trips downhill on ice.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Manual Hubs are always locked when engaged and both wheels will always turn, auto hubs are more convenient but have to usually move an entire rotation to engage, so if you get stuck before engaging you still won't have 4wd. Also auto hubs are more likely to fail than manual hubs, a vacuum line can crack, etc. If you are only using your 4wd the way you described John then the auto hubs will be fine, If you are doing some more serious backs woods kind of stuff you will want not only manual hubs but also a manual transmission and transfer case.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Remembering back when auto hubs first came out, they wouldn't work in reverse, only forward, don't know about them now. When we would run the beaches or sand, we would never lock the front hubs in, only after the rear wheels started loosing traction would we engage them to assist getting out of a bad area. With all fours engaged, you didn't get much warning before you buried it. Best tires for the beaches were ones that had no tread and 15 to 20 lbs of air, old 800/15 Buick tires from a junk yard were perfect, the junk yard guy usually gave them to us just to get rid of them. :highly_amused: Had no money but a lot of fun in those days! :devilgrin: PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Paul, I don't know if modern auto hubs lock in reverse or not. I do remember those old ones though, they weren't terribly good by comparison to the manual ones.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I would love an International Travelall - 3rd generation 61-68. And likely the pickup too. It is my fantasy restomod.

I had an International Travel-all and drove it from the East coast to Texas, had it in Texas for a couple years, drove it up to Nebraska where I eventually sold it. Pulled a cargo trailer on every trip. Only problem I had with it was the shift selector bushings, which were rubber with a steel sleeve fell apart. Good old wagon, tough as nails, but rode hard as a buckboard! :thumbsup: PJ

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
JP, I've probably owned six binders myself and my dad owned well over a dozen, in my opinion you can't go wrong with one.