• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedi Sleeve Install and New Diff Gasket

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I had two pretty significant grooves on my Right Axle Seal. Axle Seal got totally trashed and wires on inside of axle seal , it's like razor wire buried in the plastic wore tow grooves around the end of the axle. There was a major, major axle leak there that needed to be attended to. Speedi Sleeve got ordered from Amazon and was ere I n2 days. About $35 with free shipping. I cogitated about install but it could not have been easier. I did need to get a piece of plastic pipe coupler to complete the Speedi Sleeve Install as the threaded axle end is too long for the Install Tool. Instructios said get a piece of pipe from Hardware store. Pipe wasn't pipe enough but a plastic coupler was absolutely perfect. It went over the threaded axle and I was able to insert the install tool in the end of the plastic coupler. The plastic coupler end fit against the Speedi Sleeve Lip and with a few taps of my rubber mallet it seated itself right on the edge. I used my Dremel with a cutting blade to carefully slice into the installation lip and with pressure from a big pair of pliers was able to tear the metal right to the perforated machined edge and then with a pair of needle nose pliers roller the installation edge right up like opening a metal can. All of course while sitting astride the rear end perched on top of a pair of Jack Stands. The perforated edge separated cleanly and I have a hard time feeling the lip of the Speedi Sleeve. This is one slick solution for solving axle leaks. A few Pics
View attachment 48707
Speedi Sleeve Installed now to remove the Install Edge a Cut carefully with a Dremel Tool and Cutting BLade
View attachment 48708
Speedi Sleeve Edge wound up like a can opener, Extra Coupler needed to extend the Installation Can. The finished product no burrs, no sanding needed.
View attachment 48709

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Next Step was making a gasket for the pumpkin. The paper Gasket is not worth a crap. Tears and does not fit well. Got out roll of Gasket Material, and Hole Punch Leather working Tool Set, $4.95 at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Place Gasket material over Diff, stretched it flat over the studs and tapped with a brass hammer to mark the first two studs. Punched exact sized hole with the largest punch in the set, place gasket material back on to pof studs, help in place with two nus on top of gasket, stretched gasket tight, and made 3 more marks with brass hammer. Removed gasket and punched more holes, Repeated process for last 3 holes, trimmed and did some minor punching to enlarge a coupe of the holes for better fit. Used the edge of the pumpkin to rest a razor blade on to trim out the inside. Place Diff on top of gasket and then used the outside of the pumpkin to trace the gasket outline. Slicker as snot, had gasket completed in less than 15 minutes from start to finish. Now to coat both sides with Hylomar, correctly position Diff in place and bolt it together. View attachment 48710
Finished gasket ready for reassembly of pumpkin. Hylomar on both sides and no leaks. I hope.
View attachment 48711

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Next up, Diff Installed, Wheel Bearings and Axle Seals installed in hubs, make hub gaskets from Kroger Shopping bag as MOSS Gaskets are a hair too large and will leak. A paper Shopping Bag and Hylomar both sides does the trick. Use the Moss Gasket for a template. The hub gaskets need to be really thin to not leak. The Gasket material I used for the pumpkin is too thick for hub gaskets.

Still to do. Find all of the new Brake Parts I ordered, a Challenge in my garage, Brake Wedges and Adjuster Screw I need one set and I know I ordered, now where are they...Fit the later backing plates and E-Brake Levers, cut E-Brake Rods to fit along with couplers, locking nuts, and BLue Locktite. Assemble Brake and rear axle, get a helper, rehang the rear end, add fluids, install gas tank, connect sending unit as wire pulled off in the trunk, into the dark cavern I will go after the car gets off of jack stands, Bleed CLutch and Brakes , check for leaks, add Diff Oil, AntiFreeze, add gas, charge battery and hopefully Vroom, Vroom. New 8 Spoke Wheels installed and go drive Bugsy IV with New Front Disc Brakes, Later Rear Brakes with 3/4" Wheel Cylinders, and totally rebuilt suspension all around. Pretend I am Paddy Hopkirk and terrorize the neighborhood like I was a teenager. And then once all is settled in, time to play Walter Mitty Race Car Driver fantasy games. Out of town this weekend for a wedding in St. Augustine FL otherwise Bugsy would be driving by Monday. Hopefully by the following weekend. Getting Close.

Next Up fitting Forward Tilt Bonnet and Quick Wiring Harness Disconnect for that Bonnet.
Vestibulum progressus umquam

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good work!

I'm going to have to invest in some gasket-making tools. I redid all the seals in the rear axle on my Morris, and I've still got some leaks. Guessing the hub gasket may be to blame.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew that punch kit I used was all of $5.00 at Michaels. Key is Hylomar Blue, and for Hub Gaskets the MOSS Seals I'm told are too thick. You just need a brown paper shopping bag. Holes punched with a Paper Punch, Hole Punch, Hylomar both sides. Did that on my '68 and drove it for 13 years without another axle seal leak.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Jim. Once my new shop is done I need to pull the axle out of the Morris and really go through it -- it'll be good practice for doing the same thing on the Bugeye.