• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pusher fans

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Anyone got any feed back on the revotec fan, my main concern is not siting in traffic on a hot day but climbing the big hills we have here in Wales. I have to take care not to drive too hard uphill or I can see the temp climb to the 200 mark or even higher. Is the fan designed to reduce the temp in these conditions or will it have the opposite effect of restricting cool air to the rad by the very fact there is a big lump of plastic in the air flow.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If the issue is at speed not in traffic time for a new radiator.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The rad was new 2k miles ago I do intend flushing and 40/60 antifreeze. I feel it just needs that extra air flow

nomad

Yoda
In general once you are driving over 30MPH the fan doesn't do much. Airflow from speed usually is enough. Is the engine in good tune?

Kurt.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes all seems ok good colour on the plugs and advance working ok. I suspected airflow must be the case and I should not waste money on a fan. I will flush the system and re antifreeze and try and check the gauge, I know they are not always accurate but they are a good indicator (always go up when temp does! ) anyone tried water wetter to reduce temperature. Also colder stat ?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yes all seems ok good colour on the plugs and advance working ok. I suspected airflow must be the case and I should not waste money on a fan. I will flush the system and re antifreeze and try and check the gauge, I know they are not always accurate but they are a good indicator (always go up when temp does! ) anyone tried water wetter to reduce temperature. Also colder stat ?
You may want to try a 50/50 mix on your antifreeze and water wetter wouldn't hurt. The water does a better job of cooling in the warmer months than the antifreeze does in my experience.
Rut

nomad

Yoda
Ain't Barney Gaylord a wizard!? I've gone to MGA Guru for a number of things in the past and am always amazed.

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How about the water pump. How old is it. I've heard cases of worn impellers that don't circulate the amount of coolant they are supposed to. And there were two different water pumps on 1275's depending on the year of the engine. Could make a huge difference. And far cheaper as the next step. Also change the thermostat out , it could be sticking partially closed. After that and the water wetter the more expensive stuff will need your credit card to fix.

Morris

Yoda
I have a pusher fan on my 1500 and cooling is never an issue even in the insane hot Texas summer. That said, I doubt it will address your issue. I have found that one possible source of mysterious overheating issues is a failing head gasket. So as you tick off your list, you may want to add a leak down test to eliminate that possibility.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for your suggestions I will be able to test most of them out over our holiday weekend this week, thought of buying a new stat from AH and notice it is a 72deg C is this the best one? Also tempted by the oil cooler they offer at a reasonable price.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Well went the whole package in the end fitted the 160 stat, flushed the rad, 50/50 antifreeze, added water wetter, removed pulley fan and fitted a revotec fan. Just completed an event covering over 300 miles with some enthusiastic driving and she held a fairly constant temperature never going over 190f happy now to the squeeling front discs.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Weathers back to normal now but wow we had some hot days earlier in the week, hottest June since 76 they say. Frogeyes temp never faulted really pleased with the revotech fan quicker warm up with no mechanical fan and a more steady temperature under way and in town traffic. No switches to flick a bonus.

nomad

Yoda
Good to hear you have solved the problem. In my case I have two identical engines and cooling systems but my BE won't stay cool. I had the head off that very old engine a couple of years ago and believe its main problem is too much rust in the engine. Overhaul, I guess.

Kurt

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
MOSS Europe has a slick Revotec Temp Sensor that fits in the lower radiator hose. Two additional radiator clamps and two short pieces of hose. For Bugsy IV I will like add a Revotec Fan and the In Line Temp Switch.79.95 Pounds IIRC.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes the sensor fits neatly in the bottom hose just have to remove about 30mm on the straight section and two s/s clamps just have to make sure the temp adjustment screw is accessible.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I was living in Texas -Dallas area the problem i had was getting rid of hot air from the eng bay
what I did was remove the heater fan supply hose and that helped emensly

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I ran two 1/2" copper pipes through the transmission tunnel and put an extra heater coil in the back with the differential to add extra cooling. I tied it in with Ts at the heater hoses at the heater. It removes a lot of heat from the engine and the engine compartment. I never put a fan on the heater coil back there but I have thought of it.