• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Trafficator Wiring Question

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
OK wiring gurus, riddle me this:

The BJ7 wiring diagram says coming from the trafficator stator tube there should be (1) solid green wire, (1) green w/blue tracer, (1) green w/yellow tracer, and (1) brown w/black tracer. However, the new unit actually has (1) green w/yellow, (1) green w/red, (1) green w/brown, and (1) brown w/black.

Two of the four match, but how are the green w/red and green w/brown supposed to connect? By the way, the connections coming out of the new wiring harness match the wiring diagram. Anybody else run across this problem with new replacement units?

Griz

Country flag
The bn/bk should be the ground for the horn...

Determining the others is simple enough; one (1) of those wires should be common when the switch is in either the RH or LH turn signal mode (read this with an ohm, or continuity meter). The two (2) remaining wires will be the return from the RH or LH switch position.

Just mark up your wiring diagram to match how you connected it, for future reference.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
https://goo.gl/photos/fTYLL2W894MG3zFbA
Google album with Wiring Diagrams at page 1 also- Color code Number corresponding
TF12.jpg

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Randy, what you suggest is exactly what I had planned to do later today, I mainly just wanted to know if anybody else had run across this problem with wires not matching the wiring diagram.

Griz

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
By the way Andrea, my wife and I passed through Trieste just a couple of weeks ago while on a tour of Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, and Italy. Beautiful part of the world!

Griz

Country flag
Thanks Randy, what you suggest is exactly what I had planned to do later today, I mainly just wanted to know if anybody else had run across this problem with wires not matching the wiring diagram.

Griz
After a full career (>33 years) in the electrical field, starting out as a residential electrician's helper (my older brother...) culminating with some thirty (<30) years in industrial controls and instrumentation, you'd be SHOCKED__oooh, no pun was intended, but that was a good one__at the number of guys I'd worked with that were color-blind!

Of course this wasn't a secret they could keep for very long (as it was ALWAYS discovered when something was mis-wired) but not one (0) ever told me about it up front. Easily solved of course, by NUMBERING the wires, if more time consuming.

So in answer to your question, it does not surprise, nor would it even phase__oops, did it again__me! ;)

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
When I'm contemplating my navel I chant OHM...OHM. Sorry, I just couldn't resist! But I swear, I am not color blind. :smile:

Griz

Country flag

Griz

We bought a new harness from a 'usual' supplier; it had a couple of the turn signal leads reversed. Drove us nuts--we even opened-up the relay box and checked/cleaned it--and caused a couple days' wasted effort.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
By the way Andrea, my wife and I passed through Trieste just a couple of weeks ago while on a tour of Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro, and Italy. Beautiful part of the world!

Hi Griz
Very interesting trip
I hope that during your trip you can have the occasion to drive along the oldest Adriatic road
from RiJeka(FIUME) to Montenegro was a very dangerous roads- previous the HWay construction-
now the car traffic are very reduced, and you can see, peacefully, the wonderful vision of the Adriatic seaand the multitude of Islands -
During my trip (1979) in Land rover from Italy to Capodocia I have this occasion, to drive all the road, and then along the Albanian frontier to Greece and to Turkey
On the Adriatic Road, at the time, at every turn of the road was a wreck of cars or trucks, falled in the ravine, for the crash or dark or the rain or the snow and ice and the terrible Bora wind frequently over the 50 Miles/h
I hope to have the occasion to repeat the driving experience with my 100/6

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Horn is brown/black.
Left (driver's side for LHD) turn signal is green/red.
Right turn signal is green/yellow (the BJ8 diagram says green/white. I'm assuming that's your green/yellow wire).
Green is the power input from the fuse box to the turn signal switch.

The wiring diagram for BJ8s shows that the turn signal wires change color when they pass through a Lucas connector on their way to the turn signal lights. That's fine, but it was very confusing when my new turn signal harness wire colors did not match the wiring diagram. I finally figured out that whoever made the harness assumed the wires were the same color from the lights to the switch.

OP
Griz

Griz

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for all the help guys. I got it figured out with the help of my handy multi-meter. If anyone else runs up against this problem the green/red wire from the trafficator hooks to the green/blue in the wiring harness. The green/brown from the trafficator goes to the solid green from the wiring harness. The green/yellow goes to the green/yellow and the brown/black goes to the brown/black.

Griz

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Posting this here for future access.
My usual method of pulling the trafficator wires through the stator tube involves unsoldering bullets #2 - 4, then attaching a wire to #1, shrink tube around the wires, then pulling them through. With my recent steering issues, have had to do this several times lately. What. A. Pain.

Came up with this non-concours way of simplifying the process. A molex connector was added about a foot back from the bullets. Wire ends were tinned and the bullets left permanently plugged in to harness. On the trafficator side, the tinned ends were wrapped in shrink tube and easily pushed through the stator tube.

Upper wires go to stator tube and trafficator; lower wires to bullets.

Connector attached to strut with rare-earth magnet for ease of removal for radiator air baffle access. Mine is covered by my upper air baffle, but it could be painted black.

TrafficatorMolex.jpg

Country flag
I've never had to un-solder any of the bullets; it's been a while, but I'm thinking that they were staggered. I do seem to recall folding one (or two?) of the bullets backward (180* bend in the wire) and taping them down tight.

I've never gone through more trouble than to just tape a lead-wire to the bundle when pulling the harness in or out. Six inches (6") of wire tightly taped into the bundle is plenty secure to guide them back in.