• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Voltmeter Wiring Diagram Wanter

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm hooking up my Voltmeter in my Neg. grd BJ8 and want to know if anyone has a Wiring diagram they can post or PM me?
thanks

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Patrick--

Usually volt meters have only two contacts (not counting lighting). One goes to a positive source switched by the key and the other goes to a ground.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick--

Usually volt meters have only two contacts (not counting lighting). One goes to a positive source switched by the key and the other goes to a ground.
Yep, I looked it up on a Hot Rod forum. I'm good. Thanks!

dklawson

Yoda
If you have a voltmeter (not an ammeter) you shouldn't require a proper wiring diagram for hooking up the gauge.

If it's a Smiths gauge, either gauge terminal can be connected to chassis ground (preferably with a black wire), the other terminal connected via a green wire to any green wire you find behind the dash. If the gauge is a brand other than Smiths, the GND gauge terminal (perhaps a black wire) goes to chassis ground. As before, the remaining gauge terminal gets connected to any existing green wire behind the dash. Fuses are optional. If you want one, put it inline with the wire going to the car's green wire. Use something small, like 3 Amps.

Illumination can be one of two colors, red or red/white. Look for existing illumination bulbs behind the dash and splice your voltmeter's lamp wire into one of those wires.

Green wires are switched, fused wires in Lucas schemes. Connecting your voltmeter to a green wire means it will only be powered up when the ignition key is in the run position.

If you really meant ammeter, that wiring is totally different.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Patrick,
After my recent Dynamator alternator negative ground conversion I wanted to monitor charge, but I also wanted USB device charging capability so this little device was discreetly installed. It's sufficiently accurate too. Dynamator charges (13.8V) at around 800RPM and puts out 12.8V at idele 550 - 600. GONZO.
51UshAvrHOL._AC_US218_.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
gonzo,

Where did you find that little goodie???:angel2:

Last edited:

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keoke,

Me GONZO. Litt'l goodie found on Amazon.com Diameter is 1.1'' but found discreet place underdash tray to install.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you have a voltmeter (not an ammeter) you shouldn't require a proper wiring diagram for hooking up the gauge.

If it's a Smiths gauge, either gauge terminal can be connected to chassis ground (preferably with a black wire), the other terminal connected via a green wire to any green wire you find behind the dash. If the gauge is a brand other than Smiths, the GND gauge terminal (perhaps a black wire) goes to chassis ground. As before, the remaining gauge terminal gets connected to any existing green wire behind the dash. Fuses are optional. If you want one, put it inline with the wire going to the car's green wire. Use something small, like 3 Amps.

Illumination can be one of two colors, red or red/white. Look for existing illumination bulbs behind the dash and splice your voltmeter's lamp wire into one of those wires.

Green wires are switched, fused wires in Lucas schemes. Connecting your voltmeter to a green wire means it will only be powered up when the ignition key is in the run position.

If you really meant ammeter, that wiring is totally different.
Its a Smiths Gauge. Lighting Wiring was done to red/white as original. Black ground as original. I'm undecided as to a green wire going to the switched fuse panel or a white wire from the ignition switch. When I craw under the dash tomorrow I'll make up my mind. Console and trans out right now so I have a Board across the floorboard with comfy cushions which should make the job easier. Clock hooked up yesterday with a green/red wire. I want to think out connection of clock because I want it to run with the battery switch turned off. Heater Boost switch now provides manual electric fan operation, but I still have a parallel circuit for thermostatic control of the engine fan. (I have Austin AC system).

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Patrick,
After my recent Dynamator alternator negative ground conversion I wanted to monitor charge, but I also wanted USB device charging capability so this little device was discreetly installed. It's sufficiently accurate too. Dynamator charges (13.8V) at around 800RPM and puts out 12.8V at idele 550 - 600. GONZO.

Do you run it without the cover so you can see the voltage?

dklawson

Yoda
Clock hooked up yesterday with a green/red wire. I want to think out connection of clock because I want it to run with the battery switch turned off.

The easiest way would be to run a wire from the clock to the "always hot" side of the cutoff switch.

On the Mini I have a battery cable disconnect. I have a 5 Amp fuse wired in parallel to the disconnect. That allows me to keep the low current items running with the battery "disconnected". However, if someone were to try and start the car with the battery disconnected, the 5 Amp fuse would blow. So... I still have an anti-theft disconnect while the accessories can still be powered up.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
They are designed for motorcycle and marine use, hence the cover. They are all over e-bay in various configurations. multiple usb, 12v jack voltmeter etc.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The easiest way would be to run a wire from the clock to the "always hot" side of the cutoff switch.
OR:Alternatively
A Brown wire under the dash.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
OR:Alternatively
A Brown wire under the dash.
The brown wire is hot all the time unless the battery switch is off so I ruled that out. I'm thinking of running a wire to the battery as dklawson suggested. I don't want a wire unprotected or looking strange so I thought about a house thermostat type of wire, or similar, that has one or two wires in a vinyl sleeve. The clock doesn't use very much power so I'm not worried about using 16 ga wire. It'll run underneath the chassis and be secured to the battery cable with tie straps.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The dual USB charger is sealed with the two prong silicon plug, which, in the closed position, has a cut-out to view the voltmeter values. In the open position the USB ports are white and nicely contrast against black and match lettering of the heater controls. Concealed in the parcel self it works nicely for modern devices. GONZO

Country flag
Patrick,
I wonder if that could be modified/adapted to just slip into the cigarette lighter...?

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The brown wire is hot all the time unless the battery switch is off so I ruled that out. I'm thinking of running a wire to the battery as dklawson suggested. I don't want a wire unprotected or looking strange so I thought about a house thermostat type of wire, or similar, that has one or two wires in a vinyl sleeve. The clock doesn't use very much power so I'm not worried about using 16 ga wire. It'll run underneath the chassis and be secured to the battery cable with tie straps.
I found a good website for the wiring diagrams for a Smiths Voltmeter, Ammeter & general Smiths gauges. Not a very good website when it comes to looking up things. I believe installation with the recommended 3 Amp fuses is important and I added a fuse holder in my Clock and Voltmeter gauges. I also used a Label machine and made a label strip/name for the wire as well as the fuse holder, "3 Amp". The first time I hooked up the Voltmeter I connected the hot wire to a terminal and because it was up high under the dash I couldn't see the other spade terminal and I assumed it was grounded by the case since the light worked. Well, I trouble shot it and found the other spade terminal. Works like a charm but I have to say the Voltmeter gauge doesn't make any fast movements...it's slow getting up to the voltage and you'd think it was not working unless you watched it for a while.

Attachments

• Gauge, Smiths, Voltmeter.PDF
    42 KB · Views: 94
  • Gauge, Smiths, Ammeter.PDF
    30.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Gauges, Smiths, Wiring Diagram.PDF
    17.7 KB · Views: 76

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I like my Smith's "Battery Condition" voltmeter available reconditioned from sources in GB for around $120, but can understand why one would want one of the above for around $10 -- even if you had to wait a couple of weeks for the slow 747 from China.

OP
Patrick67BJ8

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I like my Smith's "Battery Condition" voltmeter available reconditioned from sources in GB for around $120, but can understand why one would want one of the above for around $10 -- even if you had to wait a couple of weeks for the slow 747 from China.
it sure what that Gauge is. Can you post a photo?