• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Same car, same spot, 6 years apart

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I pulled the MGB out a couple days ago and took a short drive -- I've not been driving it much as the engine is in need of a refresh and I don't want to damage anything (it's the original block, so I'd rather not punch a hole in it). Still, the weather was lovely and I haven't had a top-down drive since before I sold this car the last time.

It was a great reminder of how fun this car is to drive. I really like my little Morris Minor, but the MGB is just so much more fun to drive hard.

Drove up to the snow gate at Wolf Creek pass, and realized I could recreate a picture I took when I bought the car the first time back in 2011. So here we have the same car, same spot, six years apart.

April 2011

wolfcreek2011.jpg

May 2017

wolfcreek2017.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great idea and great pictures, Drew!

Very nice. I can't wait for the June 2023 version.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Drew,
Great pictures...now get out there and drive! How's Penny coming along?
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Great pictures...now get out there and drive! How's Penny coming along?

Slow, Rut, very slow. Next step is to haul her back down to the body shop for final tweaks.

I've been busy with life, and waiting for this project to finish so I can really get to work:

drewandbarn.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm I remember a "one car shed" for just one car and only one car..... :devilgrin: a man after my own heart. :cheers:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
JP said:
Hmmm I remember a "one car shed" for just one car and only one car..... :devilgrin: a man after my own heart. :cheers:

:lol:

Some good tools in that shot, Drew.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Slow, Rut, very slow. Next step is to haul her back down to the body shop for final tweaks.

I've been busy with life, and waiting for this project to finish so I can really get to work:

drewandbarn.jpg
I understand completely! Jo and I decided to start fresh with a new house and shop after the fire and it will be a year or so. We have the lot and the Bugeye was off at the painters when the fire happened, so I'm pretty lucky, but can't wait for a new shop! I'm dragging around looking for things to do and trying not to order parts since I really don't have a place to store them. The MGBs running fine, but the TR4as took a big hit since all of the restored sheet metal and new parts were in the shop. What's the ceiling height on your shop, 14'?
Rut

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Some good tools in that shot, Drew.

Sadly they belong to the construction folks and I don't get to keep them. :grin:

What's the ceiling height on your shop, 14'?

16' ceilings, plenty of room for a lift and also some loft space. Good luck with your build, hope it goes smoothly.

I'm really anxious for the space, so I can get back to work on the cars. I really want to get cracking on the MGB engine rebuild, just need that space done.

It was a good plan, just didn't work out. I'm never afraid to change plans as needed. "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson. :grin: :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Every time I see your MGB photos I'm happy we did ours in the original OEW instead of changing to a red or BRG. The white makes them look as if they've been dipped in French Vanilla ice cream! Ours had been shot with an "Amana White" when we got it, we did some "archaeology" and found OEW in all the hidden places. Decided it had to be back in its original color.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I remember at the time saying that your little garage would not be large enough. Now you have something you could put a largecar in....meaning Peterbilt!
Looking nice and good luck with the build.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Every time I see your MGB photos I'm happy we did ours in the original OEW instead of changing to a red or BRG. The white makes them look as if they've been dipped in French Vanilla ice cream! Ours had been shot with an "Amana White" when we got it, we did some "archaeology" and found OEW in all the hidden places. Decided it had to be back in its original color.

It's funny -- all three cars of mine are OEW (not by design). All were originally white, but the MGB was originally "snowberry" white, much more on the Amana side of things. A PO painted it more of an OEW shade and I really like it. I'm afraid now that if I buy another car or truck it'll have to be painted white. :grin:

Also, all three are noticeably a different shade of white.

I remember at the time saying that your little garage would not be large enough. Now you have something you could put a largecar in....meaning Peterbilt!
Looking nice and good luck with the build.

It was what I could do at the time, but it's really nice to be in a position to think larger now (36' x 40' with 16' ceilings). A dream space for sure.