• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB HIF float chamber seals

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do I need to remove the carbs to replace the float chamber seals? Mine are leaking after sitting for 4 years.

In other words, if I undo the four screws on the bottom of these carbs with the carbs in the car, will pieces fall out once I move the plate away???

Thanks for any advice.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Randy -

Pretty sure you can remove the covers and replace the seal without removing the carbs. Just keep the floats from flipping all the way down and you should be OK.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sorry - been away from the computer.

It may be safer to pull them, and will offer easier access. But I'm pretty sure they can be done in place.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It can be done in situ, just be aware of float drop possibly allowing the needle to become jammed on reinstalling the bowl if it's too low. I'd be for benching them if you've not done this before.

bgtrn

Joe Curto reccomended install his improved, ribbed, carb base, as old one warps from heat. May consider this while carbs out. Dennis P

Josh Bowman

Freshman Member
Jed,
1st, is this on an MGB? If so don't give yourself carpal tunnel trying to remove the float bowl covers, been there done that! Take a few good cell pictures of where the linkage arms connect to the carbs (the linkage has little arms that go into square holes for the throttle and cold start valve. Remove the fuel line hose (hold a small cup under the lines as you remove them). Remove the bowl vents and emissions to the block. Simply take both carbs pairs of 1/2" bolts and washers off the carb flanges. Grasp both carbs and pull them off the studs. With a carb in each hand separate them and let the linkage fall away, nothing will explode or happen with the linkage, it will just hang by the cables . Now take the carbs outside and dump all the fuel out. When you remove the float bowl cover more fuel will come out. Now you can service the carb and stop your leak. It might also be a good time to check the float heights. But if the car is running well, you might want to leave it alone.
My explanation makes it sound fiddly, but I feel you'll be able have the carbs off in about 10 minutes and can do a better job fixing the leak.