• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Healey vs MGA

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
Ok. Lets open a can of worms and see how it wriggles. This has probably been done before but I can't find anything specific in the archives.
I have just finished (almost) a four year nut and bolt resto on my BN4. Had it on the road for a few weeks and put about 600 miles on the clock; and I love it!!
I also own an MGA that I restored over four years; and I love it!!
What do you think of the comparison between the two? How do they compare? I have my own opinion and I'll keep my cards close to my vest at the moment but I am interested in your opinions. Of course, posting on this forum means I am likely to get biased opinions and if I posted on the MGA forum the same thing would happen. So, what do you think?
Matthew

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The Big Healey evolved quite a bit over its years of production, so I would imagine that the MGA is a lot more comparable to a 100 than a BJ8. Perhaps your BN4 is the sweet spot for the comparison? I have a TD rather than an A, so for me it really is like comparing two completely different eras of motoring. A 53 TD is really a 30's car, whereas my 54 100 is a new era. The A. is IMO. a jump slightly more into the future with the design of its chassis compared to the AH. The much smaller higher revving engine making it peppier. The T series MG's were designed for the sportsman, to be chucked about a bit. I think the A followed that formula to some extent to maintain the heritage.

Here is my TD taken at sunset on New Years Day 2017
FTDS.jpg

OP
oxford

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
I think you're right Simon. I've never driven a 100 but they must be more powerful than the A. Surely the AH is more advanced chassis wise than the A with its seperate chassis? I have to confess that my A has a very early 1800 B engine so maybe a comparison isn't accurate.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No comparison. Healey all the way! Just kidding; I've never driven an MGA, but confess to being a big fan of the low-end torque of Healeys (fours and sixes). I have a Mustang GT, with 315HP and dual OHCs, and I love its 'peppiness' but confess to still occasionally stalling it on launch or in stop-and-go traffic, whereas I can't remember the last time I stalled a Healey--just put it in first, dump the clutch and let the grunt take over.

Hagerty Classic Cars mag did a comparison of a 100 with the early Corvette. There was no judgement, except "you're likely to get more driving satisfaction from the Healey" and it was pretty clear they liked the looks of the Healey better ('faultless lines'). One of the Brit mags compared a 6-cyl Healey--BJ8, IIRC--to a Sunbeam Tiger; I thought the Tiger would run away on performance but they were surprisingly close and, IIRC, the Healey won out on handling (don't have that mag with me so can't review).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
These two were competitors even before they went to market. MG designer Syd Enever had just completed the design for the MGA and showed it to BMC head Leonard Lord two weeks after the deal with Donald Healey had been signed for the 100 production. Lord wasn't interested in releasing another car to compete with the Healey and held off production until Healey sales started to slump.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Great topic. I didn't have a BN4, I had a BN1, and I have driven and even autocrossed both cars.

You look at both cars and they certainly seem to be of the same era, but you drive them and the MG feels a decade more modern. Primarily due to the steering, but also because of the (relatively) low torque, peaky motor, the controlsand operation just feel lighter..

I was actually quite impressed when I had a chance to drive a well sorted MGA, it is a very nice driving sports car. You can certainly drive a Healey in sporting fashion too, but with the torquey motor and worm and peg (or whatever it is called) steering it is a more relaxed and deliberate experience.

That being said, I (and the market, apparently) would value a big Healey over an MGA. My 100 felt special everytime I looked at it in the garage or drove it down the street.

I think the really interesting comparison would be a 100M and an MGA twin cam, similar concepts executed much differently, similar specifications (horsepower, layout, weight, size) but a vastly different driving experience I would imagine.

Last edited:

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
A 100-6 BN6 was the first British car that I owned, back in the day. I loved that car and used it as my daily driver, including for trips up to 1400 miles at a time. The weakest part of the car was the tires, which kept on wearing out. As a poor college student with a lot of other priorities, I didn't have the money to buy good tires or even new tires. After selling the 100-6, a friend traded me his 1958 green MGA for my Suzuki X6 Hustler that was collecting dust in the shed. The MGA then became my primary transportation and daily driver for a while. I suppose that qualifies me to make a few comparisons between the 100-6 and MGA.

In comparison to the Healey, the MGA was slow and lacking in power. Thanks to the larger engine and overdrive, the Healey would cruise all day at speeds well above the speed limit. In contrast, the MGA was happiest at 55 or 60 mph. As long as one did not expect too much from it, the MGA was fine, and it was a good, solid, reliable car. Once I got my first "real" job, I traded off the MGA on a nearly new '67 Chevelle SS396 convertible, maroon with a black top. That's the car I used to dream about after getting rid of it; traded it in on a new FIAT 850 when I first went to grad school, thinking it would be inexpensive to own. How wrong I was. I also often missed the Healey, while losing the MGA didn't bother me. I suppose that says something.

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I owned an MGA 1600 for several years until selling it last year. It's a good-looking car, but gutless. Sorry to be so harsh, but after experiencing the power and torque of a Healey - any Big Healey - not to mention the Healey's overdrive, there's no comparison.

On tight twisties where you want to keep the revs up (3000-4000) and you're shifting between third and fourth frequently, and where you don't miss having an overdrive, the MGA was entertaining enough, but why settle?

55modified

I have owned both. BN1 and a 62' mga. The MGA was nice but just didn't have what the 100 has. MGA did not evoke the same feelings as the BN1.

If I would get another mg it would be a TF or a complete different route, Sebring replica GT.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I drove a '62 MGA in college and have worked on many over the years. Two friends still drive their 'A' since college. I have worked on many LBC and I will say in my opinion the MGA and MGB have the best body structures of all the LBCs. They are tight, solid and can be thrown around with abandon for years. If you want it to go faster, soup it up or put a V8 in it. Barney Gaylord, the MGA Guru has put over 200,000 miles on his 'A' and has been traveling the country every day for over 2 years and is still out there doing it.

OP
oxford

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
Well, seeing as I started this tread, I'd better finish it. Some interesting opinions and thanks for the enlightenment. Clearly the Healey wins out on power (and other things). I think the comparison with the MGA and Healey 100s is probably more relevant. I haven't driven a BN1/2 so I can't really comment but the power would be an advantage. Anyway, here are my observations and they are only that. Also remember my MGA has a 3 bearing 1800 engine. As I said, I love both cars but they are very different.
The Healey clearly has more power and torque and the overdrive makes for very civilised touring. There is more room inside and the rear seats make good storage. The engine is smooth and generally quiet, the options and build quality are better than the A: panel fit is better. The car generally feels less 'agricultural'. I do feel though that the Healey is more of a tourer than a sports car.
The MGA for me, feels more like a sports car. The chassis feels very tight and the car corners well and fills me with confidence. The steering is tighter and more responsive. The Healey's is good and light. The brakes on the A are better, front disks (drums on the Healey). The gear change is tighter on the A. The lever is close to my leg and the throw short and positive. Sorry Reid, but I have never found the MGA underpowered. At about 3500 it hums, very sweet but doesn't have the torque or power of the Healey; and they really should have fitted an overdrive.
They both sound great, both get attention and are both fun to drive but in different ways; and I love them. I may have to move one on, but which one of your children would you sell??
Just my two cents worth.
Matthew

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've also owned a couple of MGB-GT V8s, and I mean factory-produced that way. Now those cars are a different story. That's Big Healey power in an MG. FUN. They sound real nice, too.

Isn't Big Healey power in an MG an MGC?? :cool:

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've never driven a 100 but they must be more powerful than the A.

In case you're interested in the specifics:
MGA
- curb weight +/- 1988 lbs
- 4 power plants available
- 1489cc / 68 hp : 0-60 mph in 16.0 sec
- 1588 cc Twin Cam / 100-108 hp depending on compression/cylinder head : 0-60 mph in 9.1 sec
- 1588 cc / 79.5 hp : 0-60 mph in 13.3 sec
- 1622 cc / 90 hp : 0-60 mph in 12.8 sec

AH 100 (note - there appears to be conflicting information as to vehicle weight and "speed accomplishments" so I'll defer to the experts herein)
- curb weight +/- 2101 lbs to +/- 2385 lbs
- 1 powerplant, 2660 cc / 90 hp : 0-60 mph in 11.2 sec
- Factory 100M models produced 110 hp from same engine with some slight modifications : 0-60 mph in 9.6 sec
- LeMans kits available from the factory offered many of the same bits as the 100M and produced 100 hp from the same engine: 0-60 mph in 10.3 sec

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Sorry Reid, but I have never found the MGA underpowered.

No need to apologize - if you're happy with less hp and torque, enjoy!

Oh wait, apparently you're not happy with an MGA's hp as you have retrofitted an 1800cc! You're in good company in that regard as a lot of people seem to agree that stock MGAs are underpowered and have also retrofitted 1800s. It's common here.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I think the point is that the MGC and the Healey both have a BMC 3 liter 6. Though the MGC motor is not the same as the motor found in a 3000.

Oxford, your analysis was pretty similar to mine, and not as harsh on the MG as some. They both have their pluses and minuses. All that being said, I would sell the MGA.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I own a BN6 and I had the pleasure of driving an MGA from LA to NYC, so I'm pretty familiar with the driving dynamics of both cars. Obviously the Healey is more powerful and torque as we know = fun. That said, neither car is built for comfort, but I might actually give the A the edge in the driver ergonomics department. I love the looks of the Healey but from a design standpoint, I think the A's design is more pure, in an Audi TT kind of way. While the Healey is sexy and swoopy, the A's form is built from more simple geometry, which, as an industrial designer, I find appealing.