• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is Free a Good Deal

DJKELLY

Freshman Member
Hi BCF. I am Dennis Kelly in Greenville, South Carolina and last Sunday I took possession of a 1962 HBT7 Austin Healey 3000 MkII from my brother, John, in south Florida. We are both getting up there but his medical problems keep him from putting the Healey back on the road. It has been stored for over forty years and all that put it in the garage was the left king pin, but it needs a total restore now.

I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment with all the work that needs to be done. I have the skills and tools but it is still daunting. I haven't even found the hood/bonnet release lever yet. I had an MGB GT for almost twenty years and put over 300,000 miles on it and knew every bolt by sight. Speaking of MGs, John was the owner of a very famous MGA, #43, that was factory prepped for the 1963 Sebring race. There were only three and for a while it was worth a fortune but he sold it to a good friend for a song who had lusted for it for decades to be sure it went to someone who would appreciate it.

I really know nothing about big Healeys yet. I see the registry for BN7s and BN8s but not for HBTs. Is the HBT7 a sub-set of the BN7?

I will have a thousand questions, I am sure, and look forward to getting to know more about the car and the forum. Thanks for being there. Later, Denny

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Free is not always good, I have been given three free cars. One is worth nothing, and the other two are only worth a little. I had fun working on them though. An Austin Healey is worth something and worth all the money you put into it. More fun to drive also. I am not sure how much you want to fix but you might start a parts list and see what it adds up to in dollars. You can do this on Moss website by using the wish list. I have never seen an HBT7 designation, so I will let others comment.

By the way, once in your 60s, working on cars is a lot more strain. If I did not have a lift to raise the car, it would kill my back.

Jerry

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Denny! You've come to the right place. There is also a chapter of the Austin-Healey Club of America in South Carolina. It's called "Low Country Austin-Healey Club" and here's a link to club contacts: Low Country AHC They can be of great assistance on many aspects of your upcoming project.

Good luck with your 2+2 tri-carb, and please post some pix when you get a chance.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Welcome indeed! and congrats on the car. I have both been given a free car (two actually) and have bought a disassembled project so, I feel your pain. The joke in my club was somewhere between "he got it for free and boy did he get ripped off" and "he got it for free and got exactly what he paid for!" That there is something very special about knowing you have done it! And, while it seems overwhelming, sort, catalogue and choose one sub assembly at a time and you will be pleased at how quickly it comes together. And, this is absolutely the right place to be!

OP
D

DJKELLY

Freshman Member
The worst part of the project for me seems to be rusted floor pans. I was a mechanic for years, have a tig and have done some body work but it will definitely be a learning experience. Luckily I am retired from a job that took me out of town 75% of the time and just got back into good health so I feel like I don't have to rush anything. Taking loads of pictures and starting a journal for the restoration to back up the 67 year old memory. I am lucky not to have big money problems so I will probably end up with an industrial sewing machine and a sand blasting cabinet to start with and I already have a complete automotive and metal shop. Might run out of room, though. Thanks for the kind words, and Reid, you were right on with the 2+2 tri-carb. I guess you would be with your background. Later, Denny