• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 hood latch assembly?

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I found some TR3 hood latch assembly parts in my spare parts bin. It's missing the shaft or 3/8 rod that goes inside the spring and extends out to become the latch "pin". I found the pin part and one end is threaded....looks like it would thread into the missing shaft that goes inside the spring? I can't tell by looking at the assembly on my car. Does anyone know if the shaft is a 2 piece design where the the upper and lower pieces screw together?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you talking about the bonnet lift assembly? Big spring-loaded pin near the center that lifts the bonnet up a couple inches, so you can get your fingers in to push the safety catch? It's not a "latch", which is why I'm confused.

If so, the pin on mine is solid. It's also not the same diameter all the way. The bottom half is smaller than the top.
UNTITLED.JPG

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
My mistake... I meant the bottom lift assembly. If the pin is solid then It looks like someone was attempting to fabricate a two piece affair because the part of the pin I mentioned ,that's the part above the attachment bracket ,is identical to that part of the pin on my car. Looking at the pin on my car it appears to have some kind of large washer under the bracket which I assume is welded to the rod to push the spring downward. I suppose I could fabricate the lower portion of the pin to make the lift assembly functional100_1570.jpg

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
Are you talking about the bonnet lift assembly? Big spring-loaded pin near the center that lifts the bonnet up a couple inches, so you can get your fingers in to push the safety catch? It's not a "latch", which is why I'm confused.

If so, the pin on mine is solid. It's also not the same diameter all the way. The bottom half is smaller than the top.
View attachment 47896
counting down from bracket: 1. larger washer 2. spring cap (round plate stamped to contain spring) 3.smaller threaded shaft going thru springs and out hole in u-shaped spring container. Above the bracket is the larger pin, tapped to contain item 3. Holes in items #1&2 of such a size to travel up and down as an ass'y of both rods. Le T.

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
What is missing are the 2 spring caps ( one for each end).and the smaller rod (approx. 4") thru the spring. The black rod you have is fed up thru bracket and joined to smaller rod. Le T.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
My pin is solid as well. You can see all the components on the left side of this photo.

P1080984.jpg

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Karl, your car has had some VERY interesting mods done to it! It must have been a very interesting PO.

Tush...something about fresh blasted parts gives me goosebumps!

2liter4cyl

Bronze
Country flag
Great pix, Tush. Mine may be one piece also, but total length can made by adding to upper black rod. I presumed the thinner lower rod was threaded into upper. The hole diameter in your lower spring container bracket will tell you what size lower rod you need. Length just enough to stay in lower bracket. Le T.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The only thing is that the lower threaded portion in Karl's plunger is already the diameter the lower rod should be. To use that you'd have to get an even larger rod to thread onto it, and then either machine it down or open up the hole in the lower bracket. In other words, the lower rod is normally thinner than the upper plunger...so the PO's decision to thread it is a mystery!

If I were going to use that rod I'd cut off the stub and weld a proper sized lower rod onto it. Of course it wouldn't be too hard to find a replacement plunger either!?!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Something like a coupling nut and a bolt with the head cut off might make an easy ad-hoc solution.