• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Leaky brake caliper

ceedub

Country flag
I replaced a leaky brake caliper and the other side at the same time even though it did not appear to be leaking. Both sets of pads look nearly new but the pads on the leaky side were dampened by the brake fluid. I cleaned the pads with varsol but wondered if the brake fluid ruined the pads as I still have a steering wheel pull to that side when hard braking. Not sure if replacing the pads might solve the pulling problem or is there another reason. Thanks for your input.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My experience has been that once the friction material comes in contact with brake fluid, it is ruined no matter how much you clean it. The fluid seems to soak into the material, and only come out when the brakes get hot. I would definitely try a whole set of new pads (not just one side) as there can also be differences from one set to another.

Be sure to wipe the discs down with solvent. If it was driven for very long with the contaminated pads, you might want to roughen up the surface (aka "break the glaze") as well.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I can't add anything to Randall's comment other than that over the years I have tried just about everything to clean contaminated brake pads and shoes with NO success.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I'm experimenting with this right now. Everything looked okay when I opened up the calipers so I replaced the seals hoping that was the cause of my (slight) leak. Since there was a chance I might still have a leak I cleaned and reused the old (nearly new) pads until I was sure all was well - I have new pads but didn't want to ruin them if the leak recurred.

The cleaned pads seem to work just fine for now - I will watch out and be careful as I see how they behave when they are hot.

...I still have a steering wheel pull to that side when hard braking...

Of course wheel pull would be away from the side with the leak &/or ineffective pad - but perhaps that is what you mean.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I find that the side with the leak is the one that gets sticky and pulls, often causing the wheel to lock prematurely when braking. Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting - in my case it pulled the other way as brake fluid on the disc was lubricating the works. But then this was with silicone fluid which is (as we used to say back home) 'slicker than snot on a glass door knob'.

DougME

Country flag
I've had some success by spraying the pads/ shoes with solvent cleaner and then lighting them on fire for a bit with a propane torch. This seems to burn out the oils from the pads. Been working so far. Kids don't try this at home.