• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Happy Birthday to -

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dame Vera Lynn!

Born 100 years ago today. What a contribution to Allied morale she made in the 1940s - and to popular song for decades afterward.

And not many WW2 era singers have a steam locomotive named after them!

All best wishes, Dame Vera. And thanks.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not entirely clear what the message is there. Pretty sure SWMBO would not be thrilled to have a car named after her much less a train. :grin:

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
One of the WWII vets that I still communicate with on a routine basis also took notice of this birthday. Her songs still meant a lot to him. He even got to see her in London around December '44 shortly before reporting for duty with the 305th Bomb Group in Chelveston as a B-17 radio operator. 93 years old, still very sharp and in good physical shape (knock wood). He's definitely interested in watching the tribute concert for her 100th birthday. If anyone has a link to that, I'd like to share it with him.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've been googling for that March 18 concert at the Palladium, and can't find any videos anywhere. Lots of publicity, but no photos or videos of the concert. As Dame Vera wasn't able to attend, there must have been some recordings made.

Seems like the "100: Dame Vera Lynn" centenary CD will use her voice from prior recordings, but I'm not sure she'll actually participate.

Here's an image with some history: Vera Lynn's photo projected onto the White Cliffs of Dover.

View attachment 47810

(And while at home, she drove her Austin 10 during the war.)