• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Purging Stuff

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have always been kind of a pack rat, not a hoarder, but if there is a reasonably conceivable future use for something I don't throw it away. I have lots of old car parts, old kids toys, old electronics in the basement and the garage.

We have decided we will likely move soon, so we are organizing and pitching. I have heard some people say they feel relieved or unburdened by such activities, I feel no such joy. Sad about the memories of some of the stuff from when the kids were little, and also the sort of finality.of thinking of all the things that would be used "someday" and surrendering to time and the realization that many of those somedays wont come.

Not nearly as fun as fixing a car, intellectually I know it needs to be done, told the wife it was exhausting, not physically so much as mentally, she was pushing for the purge, but wholeheatedly agreed.

Edit: oh wonderful, a typo in the title, sorry cant edit.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have always been kind of a pack rat, not a hoarder, but if there is a reasonably conceivable future use for something I don't throw it away. I have lots of old car parts, old kids toys, old electronics in the basement and the garage.

We have decided we will likely move soon, so we are organizing and pitching. I have heard some people say they feel relieved or unburdened by such activities, I feel no such joy. Sad about the memories of some of the stuff from when the kids were little, and also the sort of finality.of thinking of all the things that would be used "someday" and surrendering to time and the realization that many of those somedays wont come.

Not nearly as fun as fixing a car, intellectually I know it needs to be done, told the wife it was exhausting, not physically so much as mentally, she was pushing for the purge, but wholeheatedly agreed.

Normally, if not too much time has passed, you can edit your post's title if you go to the "Advanced" editor. I'll fix it for you though.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Know the feeling! My sympathies. We're sitting on a lifetime's worth of "someday useful" stuff, facing the purge decision now. But the "letting go" is daunting. I have multiple Alfa, Lotus and MG engines/gearboxes/parts around, some assembled, some in pieces. Loads of spare bits for each of those as well. Along with stuff like downhill snow skis (like those would ever have a use in Florida!) and water skis in multiples, a "collection" of American Flyer toy trains, three generations of tools... so far I've just thrown my hands in the air and turned my back on the whole thing. That has to change, and soon. May start putting things on the "for sale" list here. Basil could use the money. :wink:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Good luck! It is zero fun...

We did a purge a few years back with my parents ginormous house. (The house is a story of its own; we grew up in an 8-bedroom turn of the century house. When my parents bought it in the 70's it it had neither heat (hot water) nor running water... we learned a lot very quickly!) I mention this as an 8-bedroom house has a lot of room to store stuff, especially once all the kids are out!

However, we were able to derive some pleasure from purging by donating a lot of stuff for re-use. A collection of vintage National Geographic went to an orthodontist for his waiting room. An encyclopedia from 196x was given to a youth center. Much of the furniture and kitchen goods went to Salvation Army. Craig's list "curb alerts" got rid of stuff quickly - someone out there has a decent lawn mower, free of charge. My parents did not have car parts - but there are some specialized purveyors of car parts that would probably take the lot of stuff and pay shipping (e.g. Team Triumph in Ohio). Obviously I presume some folks picked up the free stuff and chucked it in the local landfill, but at least some of the "junk" is serving a purposeful second life.

Regardless - I wish you the best!!

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We have been purging for the past 5 years and are not affected by the removal of unwanted items. If they have not been used in over 2 years they are not necessary. I go to friends homes and have to step over teddybears, toy trains VCR tapes and who knows what else. Garage across the street has boxes of crap piled to the ceiling. They open the door and boxes fall out they have so many.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
also looking at this, kids don't want any of our stuff. they like the modern throw away things. So will have a garage sale this summer (may have to have 2) Midget and sons mini will probably go on kijiji and a bunch of other stuff too. Haven't decided what to do with all my woodworking tools yet. What a chore.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Hmmm, I guess that's why my wife calls me a pack rat! I have come to the conclusion that if I haven't used it in 5 years, it going, so I'm thinking about it. :highly_amused: PJ

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nothing like a good purging. :emmersed: My wife recently retired and we're now, finally, going through accumulated junk in a serious way.
I had previously gone through a lot of my stuff about 15 years ago... and I don't collect car-stuff unless it is really needed or easy to store.

Took MANY books off for donation.

Last edited:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Going through a purge here as well. Starting with books and photos. I have to say I feel lighter as stuff goes. I am also scanning things I might need "one day" - have a fairly big stack of car magazines waiting on a good home. In terms of photos - I figure if I can't remember who is in it it is safe to go. :grin:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Know the feeling. A basement is a blessing and a curse.

We have done several mini purges. Stuff going to goodwill or trash. The first one was prompted by seeing the Buried Alive seres. We were no where that level but our efforts did yield several car loads to goodwill and more truck loads to the dump.

One problem with getting rid of something that has sat quietly on the shelf for 10 years minding its own business as soon as you get rid of it a few days later you need it.
Never fails.

David

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David said:
One problem with getting rid of something that has sat quietly on the shelf for 10 years minding its own business as soon as you get rid of it a few days later you need it.
Never fails.

Boy, howdy!

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
did a clean up about 7 years ago and when they took the dumpster to the landfill site it was 1.9 tons of stuff, and it was not one of the big dumpsters.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, don't think we are anywhere near two tons, but I did take a few hundred pounds of various scrap steel from the garage last year.

Last edited:

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Talking about purging unwanted, or more correctly unused stuff brought some sadness. The memories brought back by the mention of photographs- vacations, weddings, graduations...

Kind of bitter sweet. Realizing that some of the accumulated stuff will never be used. The Renault might get sold, time running out on the DKW.
In like thought, at Triumphest last fall Alan, an attendee, suggested that our best days are behind us. Not so I said. At concert in December I realized that maybe he was right. I became aware that I will not sing in such a fine choir, and never conduct such a group. All the stuff I have collected will most likely end with me. Toy trains do not mean the same to the our grandchildren, the sports cars are antiques. Sadly our grandchildren, while old enough to drive, have little interest in doing so. Oh well, I can enjoy the things I have. And importantly the friends and family I have.

T.T.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We had a 3 day car show Fri, Sat, Sun, in Tulsa a couple weeks ago, which I attended every day and noticed on Saturday a record crowed attended. I would guess that the majority were in their twenties and thirties, of course lots of kids. Car restorations and interest in different cars vary with the times. I wouldn't worry to much about our cars gaining or loosing interest in the future, look how many years a lot of these cars sat buried without any interest in restoring them, mine sat for 20 years! Then someone pulls one out to restore and stirs the pot again which in turn sparks a desire in other folks to join the crowd. I would be more worried about some government agency changing the rules to keep old cars off the road, as a ruling in a lot of states now restricting vehicles that can not obtain and hold a certain speed from using particular roads. JMHO. PJ

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The three things that pile up & are hardest to properly be rid of, for me anyway:
old cans of paint
old computers & electronics
any papers that have personal identification #'s on them or are tax related.

problem with purging:. You can dispose of piles of stuff, but when you turn around ........the garage looks just the same.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Between this thread and Doug's "Storing Stuff" thread, somewhere George Carlin is smirking!