• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello from The Woodlands, TX

JDMTX

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello, I have been browsing the forum for a few weeks but now that we have started work on our 1959 BT7 I thought it was time to join.

My 13 year old son and I are looking forward to the big challenge of rebuilding our car. I acquired it through a barter a few years ago and have just recently started some work on it. The previous owner was in the midst of a frame off restoration when he got sick and subsequently passed away; that was about 7 years ago. So, we have a car that is in many pieces, I imagine it will be like putting a puzzle together. I'm sure we have more challenges ahead of us than we know about but it will be a fun father-son project.

My wife and daughter are also excited, though I think they are really wanting to drive around in it!

Thankfully the body panels have all been restored, have no rust and are safe in storage, ready for paint when the time comes. The frame and chassis has some very minor surface rust but nothing that can't be media blasted away. This weekend we got the engine on the stand.

When we recently moved the parts from their old location to ours I found the odometer which read 59,000 miles; I have no idea if this is accurate or not. I don't know much of anything about the car's history, but best I can tell from some registry lists is that it was made in late 1959. I guess that would put it being one of the early 3000 models.

We are looking forward to our challenge and will gladly welcome any encouragement, helpful comments, and advice you guys have to offer.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You have come to the right place! The Austin Healey folks here are great (and plentiful) :encouragement:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You have come to the right place! The Austin Healey folks here are great (and plentiful) :encouragement:

And some of them even know what they're talkin' about! :devilgrin:

Welcome, David - great project you have there.

:cheers:
Mickey

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF JDMTX! Good luck with your project, and for those times when luck fails, you'll find plenty of good help here.

There's a chapter of the Austin-Healey Club of America based in Houston: Gulf Coast Healey Club. The president of that chapter is Terry Swonke tswonke:atgmail.com or (281) 292-3939.

I highly recommend joining both the national club and the local chapter. They will be another source of great assistance, not to mention some good opportunities to show and drive your Healey when that day comes.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I bought both my Healeys and 2 other cars in boxes. I like the puzzle of putting them back together. The group here is the best at figuring out problems so just ask.
Jerry