• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Turn signal cancel?

Daves1957TR-3

My TR3 narrowmouth turn signals do not cancel, either direction. I just thought it was a "feature" but recently found out they are actually supposed to! How difficult to fix? Or is the effort even worth it?

Cheers, Dave

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It's a bit complicated, so how easy to fix depends on what's wrong. Does the control head turn with the steering wheel, or stay with the slot on top?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Or is the effort even worth it?
If the head is turning with the wheel, then IMO it is worth fixing that. The wires will be twisting every time you turn the wheel, which will eventually tear them up and lead to things like the horn blowing all the time or (more likely) the turn signals not working.

As far as making the self-cancelling mechanism work, that's more of a personal preference, IMO. It's nice to have things working as they should; but not that big a deal to turn the signals off every time.

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

I will check that today. I just assumed (ha! ha!) that it was supposed to work that way. I have been focusing on the more "important" issues, like an engine that runs reliably, or an exhaust system that doesn't gas you to death. I just got the stainless steel exhaust parts in last week, will install whenever the weather finally turns here.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Be careful...it starts as a habit...then grows to an addiction...next thing you know you're checking Ebay every 30 minutes looking for Triumph parts!?!

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Ha! I am already checking Ebay every 10 minutes for Buick parts! The four most expensive words: "While I'm in there...". Applies to surgeons as well.

Control head doesn't move. I am leaving it be! Thanks for the advice!

Cheers, Dave

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Aside from the springs and small parts inside the control head, getting the wiring harness back through the stator tube, etc. the biggest obstacle I found is the slotted grub screws in the steering wheel that have to be turned out to release the head. Those are likely to be rusted in and it doesn't take a lot of twisting to destroy the slots in them...which opens up a big can-o-worms trying to drill out and retro fit. Been there on two out of three that I did.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
All this talk about turning head or not turning head made me go and get mine out of the box to check how it worked.

I remember now. Been a while since I looked at it.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Just in case you ever wonder what they look like inside...

28fa403c6e30ea33281de5b3aa6ae5ca.jpg

8851fe58ee95acfe7fd74fcb608c7463.jpg

7b95cd567f74b999f7d7ab5c35564435.jpg

4a6facb729fe7a73fe16158810d49737.jpg

It sounds like in yours the cancel assembly has a broken part.

OP
D

Daves1957TR-3

Thanks for the pix! Leaving it alone for now. If I'm going to learn new curse words it would be more profitable to do that getting the fuel gauge working!

Cheers, Dave

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I wrestled with a similar mechanism in a Healey for quite a while just to get the turn signals to work reliably, there are fiddly little bits inside, I never did get the self cancel to work consistently. I had the assembly apart too many times to count. I think you are making the right decision, and I usually obsess about everything working as designed.