• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ruddspeed carbs

Cooperman

Hi - I acquired these last week, does any one know if they will add much performance if I bolt these on and do not mod the head and change the cam etc. They would look good but I suspect the only thing I may add is trouble!

image.jpg

Thanks for for any info.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You should look at this John Bolster test of a Ruddspeed modified Healey: https://healey6.com/Technical/ruddspeed.pdf In combination with a modified head and camshaft, the Ruddspeed carbs made quite an improvement (and if a decent header was added would have been even better). But like all engine mods, it's the combination that makes the difference. You would not likely see an improvement in adding these carbs to a stock motor if it was already under-carbed, which your car probably is not. Nevertheless, if you want to run them you could probably do so by using some weaker needles and be ok. The cool factor when you open the bonnet is probably worth it. If they were mine, I'd seriously consider doing the rest of the mods like the Bolster car, that would be very interesting. If not, they are a prized piece of Healey kit that someone would pay dearly for.

OP
C

Cooperman

Thank you Healey Rick, that's a very interesting article, identical carb set up. Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open for a mod'd head..... They look great on that car. Its a bit difficult to see but it looks like they have no heat shield fitted on that car. My carbs do not have one either which I guess would cause issue.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's a great find, I suggest you have the carbs rebuilt and use a BJ8 cam grind, with a little head porting you'll gain some good performance.
I run triple 2" SU HD8's with a Ruddspeed manifold on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer which produces plenty of performance. I designed and fabricated my own heat shield to look factory original and my motor is totally ungraded for vintage racing, dyno (rolling road) tuned for total output. I love the look of the SU's on the Ruddspeed even though Webers will provide a little more HP.

'57 100-6 MM Motor.jpg

Country flag
These pics show up brighter, taken a little more than three decades ago (>30 years) at a Healey event held at Cypress Gardens, Florida. It's possible that Reid may have some details about the car, as I only recall it being a BN7, but he was a member of the host club at the time (maybe still is?).

Notice that these are a different pattern, with the balance conduit on the top surface.

ruddspeed_004.jpg

ruddspeed_003.jpg

The car sporting them was shown pre-restoration, but it was however, driven to the event! BTW, that's my BN6L/942 in the center-background (with primer around the freshly installed fender vents).

ruddspeed_001.jpg

ruddspeed_002.jpg

I did take away a couple of momentos though (the trophies were awarded June 6, 1985, the picture of them being more recent) :cheers:

IMG_8699.jpg

Please forgive the pictures being larger than I typically post, but I thought the greater detail around the #1 carb would be appreciated, and if you're going to do one...

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here is a set up with a Ruddspeed valve cover as well. I believe this one was one of the new versions that were re-produced in the early 2000s when the Ruddspeed brand was re-formed. I think it has disappeared again.

Attachments

• Ruddspeed.jpg
    Ruddspeed.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 193

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Whats with the the funky cap on the brake/clutch reservoir in Randys pic ?

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There must have been 2 types of period casting of the Ruddspeed manifold, mine looks like Randy's example which will accomadate a hi-performance free-flowing header design. The other with the lower integral balance pipes as see here on the 1960, former Bill Bolton owned Canadian Championship winning 3000 # 171.

Ruddspeed Can-Am car  # 177.jpg

D

Deleted member 19315

After I'm back on the road a triple su set up like this is my next change . I already have a pair od 2 inch SU's so one more and a manifold seems doable. Currently I have standard cast iron exhaust manifolds coupled to a DW side pipe. I have a DW alloy head and an unknown cam but hhe build was by Rawles Motorsport and is describedcas fast road. Are the tubular manifolds much better than the cast ones which look relatively free of awkward shape or constriction. ?

Country flag
Whats with the the funky cap on the brake/clutch reservoir in Randys pic ?
C'mon, you've got to be old enough to recognize that; it's the cap off one of those old, round-flat gas cans. You'd remove the whole cap to refill the can at a station's pump, and just loosen the small cap on top to vent when pouring the gas out, using the snorkel screwed onto the opposite side-top of the tank.

Probably put it on there A) because it fit, and B) to have a cap large enough to actually get a purchase on.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
C'mon, you've got to be old enough to recognize that; it's the cap off one of those old, round-flat gas cans. You'd remove the whole cap to refill the can at a station's pump, and just loosen the small cap on top to vent when pouring the gas out, using the snorkel screwed onto the opposite side-top of the tank.

Probably put it on there A) because it fit, and B) to have a cap large enough to actually get a purchase on.

way before my time Randy

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Still use today.......

AH Rolex Monteray Pits.jpg

johnea

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yes Dougie, there have been 2 different castings for Ruddspeed manifolds. The ribbed manifolds were for RHD cars. The smooth manifolds are designed to clear the steering column on LHD cars.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hassad,

Yes the tubular manifolds are much better than the original, especially so as you have a an alloy head and hotter cam. You might get an extra 6-8 bhp. The downside, if I can call it that, is that you will experience more resonance and also lose that lovely change in exhaust sound that standard Healeys have around 2500-3000 revs.

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
Was the valve cover made just for Healey's or did they also fit other cars? I would love to have one to go with my tri-carb setup. There is a company "ruddspeed.com" out there, but it does not appear that they make any engine mods.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hassad,

Yes the tubular manifolds are much better than the original, especially so as you have a an alloy head and hotter cam. You might get an extra 6-8 bhp. The downside, if I can call it that, is that you will experience more resonance and also lose that lovely change in exhaust sound that standard Healeys have around 2500-3000 revs.

I have tube headers ceramic (jet-hot) coated inside and out. That process gets rid of the typical tinny sound of headers as well as the engine compartment heat. Not sure if it's identical to the cast-iron manifolds, but it's not too different.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There must have been 2 types of period casting of the Ruddspeed manifold, mine looks like Randy's example which will accomadate a hi-performance free-flowing header design. The other with the lower integral balance pipes as see here on the 1960, former Bill Bolton owned Canadian Championship winning 3000 # 171.

View attachment 47649
I believe those shown are the ones for the RH drive cars. There were LH and RH drive manifolds.

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Dougie,
I am interested in vendor and part number information if you have it for the fuel hose to the carbs and the hose clamps on your rocker cover breather hose. Would you mind sharing? Thanks so much!
Lin

Attachments

• '57 100-6 MM Motor.jpg
    '57 100-6 MM Motor.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 125

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Lin,

I'll go through my files and send you a PM with the info.