• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Shock aborber recommendations

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Of course, I mean shock absorbers. Can't edit the title, apparently, to fix my lousy typing.

I'm nowhere near the point where I need to buy shocks for my TR4A restoration project, but if I can figure out what I want, I can watch for them to go on sale. As time goes on, I'll probably be asking about other things, prematurely, for the same reason.

There seem to be quite a lot of options. VB has Woodhead, one of several original equipment makes. There are also offerings from Gaz, Spax, Koni, KYB, and some no-name options. Most of the latter, boutique brands, are a lot more expensive. KYB isn't too expensive, but I had a set of them on my Porsche, which were awful. I replaced them with Bilsteins, and the improvement was huge. So, I'm a little reluctant to use them. Koni is always a safe option, but expensive.

Anyone have an experience or recommendations?

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have Konis all round on my 4A - telescopics at the back. I also have them on the 1995 Commodore and I had them on the 1988 Commodore Turbo. They can be a bit firm initially but they seem to settle after a couple of thousand miles. It may not be a concern on a TR but they had done around 150k miles on the Turbo when I sold it and they have done a similar mileage on the V8 and they are still in excellent condition. You get what you pay for.

You may need to consider the springs that you are running. I have 390 lb/in springs on the front and Goodparts 470lb/in on the back. The stronger springs probably need a stronger shock.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm going to keep the car largely stock, as it is now, so I'd prefer not to start replacing springs. I also want to keep the lever shocks in the rear. Would the the Konis be too hard in that case? I kinda lean toward them even though they are a tad pricey, as they are universally recognized as a first-rate product.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Would the the Konis be too hard in that case? ...

The Konis are adjustable. The problem is, you have to remove the shock to adjust it. Other adjustables, such as the Spax or GAZ, can be adjusted while in situ.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

I'm going to keep the car largely stock, as it is now, so I'd prefer not to start replacing springs. I also want to keep the lever shocks in the rear. Would the the Konis be too hard in that case? I kinda lean toward them even though they are a tad pricey, as they are universally recognized as a first-rate product.
I have Koni on the front of my TR6..they were on there when I bought the car. Like a lot of TR6 owners, mine are set on the lowest (softest) setting.
If they ever do wear out, I don't think I'll pay for replacement adjustable shocks.

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks. Yes, I was aware they were adjustable, but I was concerned that they might be too hard even on the softest setting. The usual adjustment for Konis on the Porsche 912 is softest--I suspect that the only people who change the setting are racers. Removing them from the rear is not too hard, but from the front it's much more difficult. The TR should be much easier. Still, I can't see myself using that feature much, if at all. But a well designed, good quality product has its attractions, for sure.