• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Slippery reverse gear

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Shall be getting frog out of her hibination soon maybe after storm Doris, had a small issue last year slipped out of reverse on a few occasions and had to really make sure I put a little pressure on the stick when finding reverse, Any ideas or inspection procedures I can do? Don't fancy a full strip down unless really nessesary. The unit is a 1275 stage2 with a CR box.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bet you have the same issue in 1st as well.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The reverse fork introduced and intermediary gear between 1st and the layer, causing the mainsheet to tune in the opposite direction. The gear itself and move freely (no detent) The most likely issue is a weak spring or missing detent or a worn shift rod. Another possibility would be worn thrust washers on the layer allowing too much for and aft movement which would encourage the intermediary gear to disengage. There's not much to be done about either without removing the gearbox.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Gerard I suspect a weak Spring the gearbox has only done 2k
since a rebuild ten years ago so has been doing a lot of standing. Looks
like a removal at some stage.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Perhaps the detent peg was omitted? I've taken a lot of gearboxes apart where these little parts were omitted or missing.

Thanks Gerard I suspect a weak Spring the gearbox has only done 2k
since a rebuild ten years ago so has been doing a lot of standing. Looks
like a removal at some stage.

Last edited:
OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Any suggestions which workshop manual I should pick up if doing a gearbox repair on the frogeye. Have a Haynes
for the big Healey but not too impressed especially when it says the big Healey gearbox is removed from under the car??? Thanks to this forum for putting me right.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Definitely the Bentley!

Any suggestions which workshop manual I should pick up if doing a gearbox repair on the frogeye. Have a Haynes
for the big Healey but not too impressed especially when it says the big Healey gearbox is removed from under the car??? Thanks to this forum for putting me right.

D

Deleted member 8987

That's hilarious, given the discussion on the forum about how wonderful Haynes manuals were.

Another thing I have seen is binding of the boot (or carpet if installed) on the gearshift lever when all the way over and in for reverse.
Trying to bring up a photo in my mind of how these are laid out, but you might want to just remove the boot and try it. I seem to recall (through the fog) that rear trans mount too low can cause some issues there as well...but, again, been a while since I was into a BE.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks I will check that could well be the problem as I have not experienced any issues with first yet. Any particular Bentley publication for a mark 1 with discs and a 1275 power plant.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I don't think there is a single one that covers from MKI thru MKIV, so you may need to get two, but this one would cover most of it, and certainly the upgrades you mention.

Bentley Sprite 212-340_1.jpg

Thanks I will check that could well be the problem as I have not experienced any issues with first yet. Any particular Bentley publication for a mark 1 with discs and a 1275 power plant.

OP
4tecdog

4tecdog

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Didn't know there were so many manuals for Sprites, going to a major uk restoration show in April will have a rummage through some of the book stalls see if I can pick up any Bentley manuals. Including the one you suggest.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Also have a look for the original blue covered Sprite factory manual. A memento as much as a reference. Doug