• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bought a Tachograph - what should I do with it?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
It looks like just a Tachometer with a built-in clock? If so, that's what I have in my E-Type.

etype dash.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Might make a nice desk clock, but ...

a tachygraph (tachograph) automatically records speed and distance. If it works, it's likely worth a *lot* more than you think. It's more a highly calibrated speedometer and timer, and not a tachometer with a clock in it.

(Has to be matched to the drivetrain it was designed for. So ... don't put it in the Multipla!)

Is yours a Kienzle, with a start button on the face?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

a tachygraph (tachograph) automatically records speed and distance. If it works, it's likely worth a *lot* more than you think. It's more a highly calibrated speedometer and timer, and not a tachometer with a clock in it.

(Has to be matched to the drivetrain it was designed for. So ... don't put it in the Multipla!)

It is a Kienzle - but, no start button - here are a couple of pics - shut and open (for the record card)

IMG_1214.JPGtachograph.JPG

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

Ah. Never heard of this. Learn something every day.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ah. Never heard of this. Learn something every day.

For trucks mostly - particularly to ensure they don't drive too many hours - now, of course they track everything!

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
The UK probable at the instance of the EU added Tachographs to commercial vehicles about 1979 to track the drivers time at the wheel. Drivers called them the spy in the cab.

David

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well, after 2 years of staring at it every time I went into the garage and another two months of hooking a 12V power source to every possible terminal to try to make it work. I managed to split it in half making it much easier to actually use and quite by accident - and I mean quite by accident discovered that the clock is not electric at all, it winds up! Who knew?! (and why!)

So it now sits on my desk, almost keeping accurate time but it looks great!

tachograph.jpg

Attachments

• tachograph.jpg
    tachograph.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 9