• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

13" Tires - What's out there right now

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK I just commited to 13" wheels. What have folks bought lately that more of a Performance Tire than a MiniVan Tire. TireRack has General Altimax RT's on closeout with Shipping for just over $200. 440 UTOQ Rating what else has anyone bought lately Sticky but not Auto X Tires

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
Try Tireseasy.com and look at the 13" tires in the width you want. The Kumho tires get really good reviews and I bought a set for the bugeye, but I haven't driven the car yet.
Rut

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have Kumhos on the Nissan Rogue -- they are surprisingly good, much better than the Bridgestones that used to be standard fare on the imports. I can push the Rogue fairly hard into a turn and still haven't had the tires squeal, let alone break their grip.

I have Uniroyal Tiger Paws on Baby Blue in 13". They seem to be okay, but I really don't have much to compare them to. The Uniroyals do seem to protest quite a bit when I push them through curves. I'd say the Tiger Paws are a bit better than your typical minivan fare, but I wouldn't consider them performance tires.

Country flag
The tire could actually be harder than some tires Graded 500+, but the manufacture states the minimum wear rating to not have to fret with quality assurance. With cheap tires it is a crap shoot.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Summer only tires are in the 100-300 UTOQ Range. All Season 40k Mile Tires UTOQ 400-500 Range, 60k Mile Tires I saw some out there with 7-800 UTOQ Ratings. We are driving very light cars, the lower the UTOQ Rating theoretically the stickier the tires will be. Again other factors play into the sticky / tread wear / handling capability. I found the Tire Easy Web Site pretty easy to use and they have every Asian Brand of 13" Tires on their site that you have never heard of before. Bugeyes can handle wider tires than a SWA which pretty much is limited to a 155/80/13 Profile anything more usually will rub. The Tire Easy Site also has information on Minimum / Maximum Rim Width based on Tire Size.

Tire Rack has Discontinued General Altimax RT's under $40 a tire on a CloseOut. I've seen comment from some folks that have used this tire on a BE 175/70/13. Too big to fit a SWA Spridget. With all of the Asian Brands on the Tire Easy Site YMMV. But there are a variety of choices available at the Tire Easy Site. Quality however and suitability for a Spridget, well YMMV.

Keep in mind likely you will not be able to wear any of these out in normal driving. They will age out > 8 years, before you will wear them out in normal driving. And again a 1500 lb car puts far less wear and tear on tread life than a 3,000 lb + car. Good luck in tire hunting.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have four new ( never mounted) Fulda 145x13 tires that need a new home.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks Trevor....too bad no cars have been made in recent history that require 13" tires. Finding good ones is difficult. Last set I bought were Douglas at Wally world. Rick Fisk recommended them and they seem to be decent tires. I've heard, but can't substantiate, that they were made by Cooper.

Kurt

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Trevor....too bad no cars have been made in recent history that require 13" tires. Finding good ones is difficult. Last set I bought were Douglas at Wally world. Rick Fisk recommended them and they seem to be decent tires. I've heard, but can't substantiate, that they were made by Cooper.

Kurt

Not quite true - many of the 90's econo boxes - Hyundai Accent/ Kia Rio had 13" rims - but, not sport tires. But I run Canadian Tire Motomaster that I paid less than $30 a tire - and, did a quick search and got General Tire/ Hancook/ Uniroyal options - Mine are fine for all I do.

Country flag
I have a set of tires that are probably about to "age out" ... I should probably try to get some mileage on them summer. Good excuse to drive the Midget more. :smile:

nomad

Yoda
Not quite true - many of the 90's econo boxes - Hyundai Accent/ Kia Rio had 13" rims - but, not sport tires. But I run Canadian Tire Motomaster that I paid less than $30 a tire - and, did a quick search and got General Tire/ Hancook/ Uniroyal options - Mine are fine for all I do.

Guess you are right JP but I'm guessing none of them used the same profile of tire we require.

Kurt.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Guess you are right JP but I'm guessing none of them used the same profile of tire we require.

Kurt.

True though given that 99% of us only ever drive for ice cream or cruise night (and well within the confines of speed limits) I would still argue that for the most part they are all we need. :driving:

matmire

I recently got a set of Coker's BF Goodrich radial whitewalls in 155/80R13. I ordered them through Jegs, since they offer free shipping on orders over $95. They may not fit everybody's style, but I think they look pretty slick!

WhiteWalls.jpg

Just Google the size tire you are looking for and you'll find all the current offerings.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just Google the size tire you are looking for and you'll find all the current offerings.

great to hear from you Hap! I trust you and yours are well?